Flowering Houseplant Challenge
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Confession  - I'm no good with houseplants but I'd like to be better.

I've had a couple of Amaryllis in flower on the hall table for months - and they really cheered me up. Now that they're finished I thought I'd see if I could keep a flowering houseplant on that table all year round. All that I have at the moment are a tiny Cineraria and a scented pelargonium - both in the greenhouse. I'll bring one indoors tomorrow and see what else I can grow to keep up the succession.

Anyone else joining me? Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Like you not great with house plants. All I have is a Christmas cactus. Which really does need a drink.
Thanks for the reminder  Blush .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
The only flowering plants I have are orchids and bougainvillea - neither kinds look very healthy to be honest. I don't pay them enough attention, I'm sure.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
Oh, and a Christmas cactus to be fair! That one is hanging in there, pot bound and been in the same compost for years and it flowers like mad a month before Christmas every year.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(10-06-2022, 08:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: Confession  - I'm no good with houseplants but I'd like to be better.

I've had a couple of Amaryllis in flower on the hall table for months - and they really cheered me up. Now that they're finished I thought I'd see if I could keep a flowering houseplant on that table all year round. All that I have at the moment are a tiny Cineraria and a scented pelargonium - both in the greenhouse. I'll bring one indoors tomorrow and see what else I can grow to keep up the succession.

Anyone else joining me? Big Grin
I’m not much good with houseplants either - but I have got some “quite nice” geraniums that I shove on windowsills. 
Also some pretty good cacti that I’ve had for twenty years or more , but I hate cacti. Just can’t bring myself to dump them.
Also a Primula Obconica that I got given as a thank you for some perceived good deed in lockdown. The good deed was just being neighbourly and didn’t deserve the gift.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
I've got two house plants a Money tree I was given 3 years ago then a Christmas cactus we've had for 45 years not even sure whats keeping it alive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
I've got nothing flowering but masses of green houseplants, Christmas cactus that can't make up its mind when to flower, it had a go early in the year and is sprouting flower buds again. Yucca, variegated ivy, one of those cane begonia things, tradescantia, spider plant, devil's ivy. Nothing too demanding. I've recently killed a peace lily. I too have few different cacti in a wide pot that I hate and can't bring myself to throw away. I have tomato in flower on the windowsill ATM which gets transferred from sunny window to sunny window. During the winter I nurtured a begonia semperflorens in a pot, which flowered ok but that's gone outside. I would love to join you Veggie but I've not got a spare place to put a flowering plant. I solve the colour dearth by having an artificial clematis, that I have to stop myself watering.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I have flowering ATM a begonia semperflorens, hibiscus, flamingo flower, and orchid. All gifts over the years. I don't much like the flamingo flower (anthurium, and a recent gift to my mum) but I've put it in the downstairs cloakroom in place of a poor spider plant which I never remembered to water. The anthurium is happy with a drop every month or so. I can ignore it, but it is still "on display" if the giver visits.

The begonia flowers pretty much non-stop all year round. And if we count buds as well as flowers, the orchid has been doing its thing since March.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Thanks for the reminder, Moth. I have an Anthurium too - a wishy washy pink one that was a yellow sticker plant. Big Grin
Its now on the hall table on my Challenge spot.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I have managed to keep several houseplants alive for a couple of years now, but none of them have flowered. However, I have brought several flowering pot plants home from my Grandma's. Probably some of them should be planted in the garden rather than kept indoors. There's an Osteospernum Purple Sun (pretty sunset colours), a Begonia Illumination Apricot (I usually hate begonias with their fleshy flowers, but this one is a really pretty yellow tinged with apricot), a Dianthus that's unlabelled but is probably Coconut Sundae, and a "Dahlietta" called Surprise Louise.

No idea if any of them can be kept inside long-term, but they are so cheery that it would be nice to replace them with something else if I need to move them outside.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie