Has anyone ever...
toomanytommytoes Offline
...actually got 50 litres out of a 50 litre bag of compost? They always say on the bag '...x litres when filled' so presumably it is super fluffy when it goes in the bag and then compacts during transport and storage. However even after fluffing up the stuff it never comes to 50 litres, and when you put it in a pot it's compressed again by gravity and water. Since I always measure potting mix ingredients out with a 10 L graduated bucket, I reckon I get about 35 to 40 litres from a bag.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Never tried TMTT but I've always had a problem with measurements on compost bags. To me - a litre is a liquid measure and trying to imagine 50 litres of milk is beyond me. I'd prefer a weight measurement - so that I'd know whether I could lift the bag, or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're being short changed by the companies.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've never measured out my compost so haven't a clue but it's food for thought next spring.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(07-06-2022, 04:15 PM)Veggie Wrote: Never tried TMTT but I've always had a problem with measurements on compost bags. To me - a litre is a liquid measure and trying to imagine 50 litres of milk is beyond me. I'd prefer a weight measurement - so that I'd know whether I could lift the bag, or not...

Since companies don't dry out compost before they bag it, packing by weight would be difficult - on a rainy day the bulk compost to be bagged will weigh more than on a dry day, so a volume measure is more consistent.

(07-06-2022, 04:15 PM)Veggie Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if we're being short changed by the companies.

I wouldn't be surprised either. No doubt they have a machine that superfluffs the compost to make the volume greater than anything any normal person could produce.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:

toomanytommytoes Offline
One of those supermarket flower buckets is 10 litres so both of you can have fun seeing how many buckets you can get out of a bag!  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Is this the latest Challenge, TMTT? Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
As you know, I've been buying Coir blocks recently - they're supposed to make 75 litres of compost when rehydrated.
By coincidence, I've just picked up an 80 ltr dustbin which should be perfect for this.
The first block is in the bin with 25 litres of water as instructed. I'm waiting 20 minutes as it says on the box, then I have to stir it up. Don't know how full it will be but its a lot heavier than it started!!
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes

toomanytommytoes Offline
50-60 litres I reckon. Once the block has soaked for a while you can jab it with a spade or something else pointy and it should fall apart easily.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I can't reach the bottom of the bin to stir it up. Also, I don't know whether 80 ltrs = the rim of the bin or not. Whatever, its nowhere near full!!
However, I'm very pleased with the quantity of compost for £1.50. I'm going to use some to top dress the bean and pea beds.
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Yeah, doing it in a deep bin makes it hard to stir, so the stuff at the bottom stays sopping wet. My arms are probably longer than your wings and the mixing wasn't very fun. It's easier in a wheelbarrow with a spade/fork.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie