The Big Plastic Count
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
https://thebigplasticcount.com/

Have you seen this? Starts tomorrow.
The idea is that a household counts every bit of plastic that they dispose of, whether by recycling or binning, and the results will be sent to the government, supermarkets etc askng them to do something about reducing the plastic.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks for the link, I’d not seen that.
I’m going to join in.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've only just seen it too - and I've signed up to the Count.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sent the link to a friend who’s involved with plastic free mull. So hopefully a few more people will get to know about it and join in.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
Thank you for sharing that - I've shared it to Farcebook and I will share it on my insta. I'll put a basket in the kitchen tomorrow for the others to put their plastic into and I'll do the count, and I'll be told I'm trying to save the world again, which I don't mind Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I've just signed up too. Thanks Veggie. I'm reusing as much plastic as possible to make plant markers/containers and I recycle the few other plastic things that will be collected here (it's far more restricted than the NE Lincolnshire council collections), but I still end up throwing so much away. It's so difficult to avoid buying things with plastic, even though I've made some positive changes like shampoo bars/bar soap, reusable bags for fruit and veg, buying in glass containers rather than plastic where possible (e.g. ketchup) etc.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
For things which can't be recycled via council collection, check out Terracycle's recycling programmes - https://www.terracycle.com/en-GB/

Co-Op and Sainsburys also take soft plastics - https://www.coop.co.uk/environment/soft-plastics & https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/susta...e-plastics
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
We have a local Terracycle scheme that has raised a lot of money for the village school and other charities. Several shops act as collecting points for different items - eg. the Card shop collects pens, and the organiser collects from the shops every month, sends them off and then distributes the proceeds. Its a lot of work for the organiser as she collects from a few areas but she seems to enjoy it!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
My local Co-op says it collects soft plastics but actually doesn't Sad Apparently they are waiting for some kind of refurbishment first.

I've looked into the Terracycle scheme for a few things, but not found any collecting points nearby so far. Maybe this week will be a good time to check everything I will otherwise throw away.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've joined in. Our local tesco collects soft plastics but I'm not convinced it's recycled, I fear its incinerated, but at least that removes it from landfill. The council now collects yoghurt pots and spread boxes basically anything of that nature except black plastic. I'm always amazed that a fortnight's worth of 'landfill' waste amounts to less than half a carrier bag full.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie