Planters
Jay Offline
Looking to cheer up our patio with some nice pots and flowers this year for hubby to sit out in a nice environment when he comes home. Any recommendations on where to buy nice planters? TIA!
West of Scotland
[-] The following 3 users Like Jay's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I like plastic tubs for quick fixes like that, and Home bargains is great for cheap tubs Smile The pound shop too, but I'm not sure if they exist anymore?
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I believe the traditional Scottish planter is a fish box  Big Grin . Or is that just on the coast ? 

Depends what sort you want . Stone, Terracotta, plastic, wood ? 

I have no idea where I’d start looking for something to buy. Probably a google image search for inspiration. Followed by a google search on where to buy.

Joking aside. I would use fish boxes. They’re easy disguised with wood or bricks or slate to make things look smarter.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Jay, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not sure what to recommend to buy, but don't get anything heavy unless its going in a permanent position. I have some stone troughs and they're too heavy to move, even more so when full of soil.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
And watch out for big plastic troughs as they can flex and bulge Sad if they're too thin.
I've bought a few fibre glass ones - light, but delicate.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Jay, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
There are some recycled plastic companies around selling planters made from..............recycled plastic. I've seen garden benches made from it and they're supposed to have a longlife without needing any treatment. May be worth a look?
  • Jay, JJB, PyreneesPlot

Jay Offline
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!
West of Scotland
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Let us know what you get and we'll need photos, of course. Big Grin
  • Jay, JJB, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Wilko has plastic containers in a variety of colours and styles for very reasonable prices. You can get most things at their larger stores, but you can also buy almost all their range online for collection from your local store if you just have a smaller one nearby. The B&M store and The Range both have good containers sometimes too.

As others have said, lightweight containers are usually the way to go unless you are sure you aren't going to want to move them. I have been left some lovely glazed terracotta containers with the house, but they are very difficult to move around when they are full of compost!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, SarrissUK

Spec Offline
How about making or get someone to make you some planters using decking boards, that way you can get them as large or small as you want, and ofcourse they can be painted in whatever colour you want, as for plants, I would recommend nonstop begonias as you don't need to deadhead and they give good colour
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, PyreneesPlot