Squash/pumpkin recommendations
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can you help please? Big Grin

I want to grow a squash/pumpkin (going to call them all squash from now on) that is:- 
......not too big that it takes a week to eat, and not too small that you need 4 of them for a meal. 
......that keeps well over winter.
..... tastes good, fresh or after storage
......doesn't have a lumpy skin that's difficult to cut
......easy to grow and a reliable cropper
......productive - more than one squash per plant.

Don't say Tromboncinos, but something with similar virtues. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
You spoil all my fun  Tongue . Obviously I was going to say tromboncino  Cool .
Small sugar pumpkin would be high on my list of recommendations . Good flavour not bumpy skin. Store well . 
They do get a bit big sometimes because they’ve not read the back of the packet    Rolleyes . But I’m sure they would go in your dehydrator if you get sick of them on day 3 Big Grin  .

I like spaghetti squash as well. Unfortunately it’s a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to uses. Again it could get a bit big. Good flavour, good crop. 

I’ve tried lots of other but they’ve never cropped that well, most have had good flavour . You might have more success in your location with them. Uchiki kuri would be perfect for you if they like Wales more than Scotland. 
Turban squash was another one that didn’t really do well here but good flavour, not to big. But not that easy to peel because of the shape. 

I’ll keep thinking, I’ve grown more than that.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have some Real Seeds Burgess Buttercup and Hokkaido on my probable list; Also Franchi Berretina and Lunga di Napoli and, but not tempted by, Marina di Chioggia.
Plus some out of date Small Sugar and in date Red Uchikuri.
Lots of other old seeds too that may just get jumbled up and scattered. Really don't have room or enthusiasm to give them all the TLC they need so trying to focus on a few that are worthwhile.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli

Jimny14 Offline
My first thought was uchiki kuri, but guessing you've already tried them.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Jimny. I have tried them in the past but have forgotten what they're like!! Probably wasn't very successful or I'd remember them. They've been recommended twice, outside G&G and I've been given some fresh seed so they are on this year's Grow list.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Garrett, Jimny14, JJB, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Sweet Lightning/Harlequin/Celebration/Festival are all similar hybrid acorn types. We've only grown Harlequin. Keeps well, decent yield, good flavour, medium vine.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I love golden hubbard - I ate the last one a week or so ago and it was totally sound. Flesh is orange and dense but they can be a bit of challenge to open being rolly!
I'm a fan of Marina di Chioggia too - finely sliced the flesh is even nice raw with good marination
Spaghetti - you can mix it with a sauce and bake it, mix the strands into a punchy dressing and have it as a salad, make vegetable pakora from the strands, fry it flat mixed with grated potato like a rostii.
Jumbo pink banana - does grow big, but has nice flesh and because it is long, you can cut off what you want and put the rest back in the fridge ( if it fits!). It'll keep for a a good week, you just have to remove the cut edge which goes a bit manky!
But Crown Prince tops my list - productive, not watery, is a keeper and tastes really good.
I'm still eating some of the above, stored in an unheated north facing room for the winter.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Garrett, Proserpina, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(02-05-2022, 08:41 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Spaghetti - you can mix it with a sauce and bake it, mix the strands into a punchy dressing and have it as a salad, make vegetable pakora from the strands, fry it flat mixed with grated potato like a rostii.
Ooh thanks. I’ll be trying some of those with my next spaghetti squash harvest. I do love it , I just always do the same thing with it.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Garrett, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I can't recommend any just yet, but I'm trying to grow quite a few this year so I will get back to you!

I'm growing: Blue Hubbard, Galeux D'Eysines, some seeds saved from a particularly tasty Lidl squash that I can't otherwise recall and that may well not be true to seed, Pumpkin Rouge Vif D'Etampes, and Uchiki Kuri.

Not all of them have popped up yet, but the Lidl ones are busting out of the pot as I sowed them densely thinking it would probably be duff seed!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm sticking to trombas and ichi kuri. Tried honeyboat delicata last year but didn't get many per plant.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Garrett, Proserpina, Veggie