Stagnating seedlings
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
After a flying start with fast germination I steadily pricked out seedlings of aubergines,  peppers,  chillies & tomatoes as the first true leaves appeared and while I expect everything to stop for a while I've realised that nothing is really growing on.
Most aubergines, pricked out in early March still only have a single pair of tiny leaves.  They have been indoors in the warm until about 10 days ago.  I know they were initially too dry, as I over-compensated for last year's fungus gnats,  but that was quickly rectified. 
I'm guessing the cheap compost is the problem,  do you think it's worth buying some better compost and repotting everything?  It all has to go in the ground by mid May as we'll be away then, so one month's time.
Thanks all.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had similar issue with an old bag of compost that was saturated. Nothing grew in it. I would buy some new in and repot.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, PyreneesPlot

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Mine don't seem to be growing as fast as they should either. In one respect it's a Godsend as in the past stuf hs grown too quickly and went leggy beore planting out. I only hope they are establishing a decent root system instead of putting on top growth. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet

SarrissUK Offline
I'd repot it too. Don't leave it too long in case there's a problem with the compost that will cause more damage.
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet

toomanytommytoes Offline
The other 3 plants can be a bit finicky, but if tomatoes (which usually romp away in anything) aren't doing much then it sounds like bad compost.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Looks like I'll be doing a lot of repotting, which I kind of expected! MrPP drives past a GC on his way home at the moment so I'll send him on a compost hunt tomorrow.
Many thanks Smile

[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I've let mine and they seem to be picking up a bit! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Thanks Vinny, that's good to hear Smile ! Mine'll have to wait until I can get compost on the weekend, and right now everything is sitting shivering in the little GH: I daren't open the door to see what's happening in case I let the tiny bit of warmth out  Big Grin Sad

[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Well MrPP kindly picked up a bag of compost on his way home on Friday, the best, labelled organic and full of bloody peat, not to mention organic stones & bits of plastic!
We then had storms until lunchtime today so this afternoon I carefully repotted all aubergines, peppers & chillies, removing the old compost until I came across roots. Most plants had a few, but I would have expected the pots to have been full of roots six plus weeks after pricking out.
I'll now leave everything to hopefully grow on in the blow-away for now and not worry about starting to harden them off.
The tomatoes, pricked out into a different batch of the same stuff a few weeks later are doing much better so just got a top up in the pots.
Fingers crossed  Smile

[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, SarrissUK, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
A week on and while there's no growth, the plants are at least now a healthy green, so fingers crossed we're getting some root growth Smile

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Scarlet