Soil/ peat improvers
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ok boys & girls it time to educate the stupid ( that would be me ). 
What do I dig into my very easily waterlogged peat bog to make it useable? 
How to look after the brown / black stuff is one part of gardening I’ve never really been able to get my head round    Blush . Which is very embarrassing. As it’s probably the most important part. 
Advice please.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Can you use raised beds or hugelkultur planting to raise the plants above the saturated layer? The roots would still be able to penetrate down but they'd avoid getting permanently waterlogged.
It looks like a really interesting conundrum! What do your neighbours do?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-04-2022, 09:41 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Can you use raised beds or hugelkultur planting to raise the plants above the saturated layer? The roots would still be able to penetrate down but they'd avoid getting permanently waterlogged.
I’ll be doing the raised beds for the veggie garden. But for the rest of the garden……….? Neighbours one side don’t garden , it’s a holiday let . Neighbours the other side are just out of the bog but they still struggle.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Farendwoman Offline
(14-04-2022, 10:35 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(14-04-2022, 09:41 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Can you use raised beds or hugelkultur planting to raise the plants above the saturated layer? The roots would still be able to penetrate down but they'd avoid getting permanently waterlogged.
I’ll be doing the raised beds for the veggie garden. But for the rest of the garden……….? Neighbours one side don’t garden , it’s a holiday let . Neighbours the other side are just out of the bog but they still struggle.
“Just out of the bog” made me smile. 
did you mean “just out of the Stone Age, just out of the loo - or geographically speaking?”
[-] The following 6 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-04-2022, 11:17 AM)Farendwoman Wrote:
(14-04-2022, 10:35 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
“Just out of the bog” made me smile. 
did you mean “just out of the Stone Age, just out of the loo - or geographically speaking?”
Ha ha  Big Grin that did make me chuckle. Geographically ( mostly   Wink )
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Norfolk Grey

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Can you embrace the bog and do more of what nature does best in your climate/conditions? Carnivorous plants? Although I admit, although that would be great for nature as peat bogs continue to disappear, it doesn't sound like very exciting gardening.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-04-2022, 11:59 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Can you embrace the bog and do more of what nature does best in your climate/conditions? Carnivorous plants? Although I admit, although that would be great for nature as peat bogs continue to disappear, it doesn't sound like very exciting gardening.
That would be very easy, I’d just leave it as it is  Big Grin . It would look exactly the same as the rest of the surrounding area. And I’d look like a right lazy ……..   Big Grin . mostly just rushes & grasses . Most of the carnivores plants seem to stick close to running water. Toes in the bog but sat next to burns.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I would try and get a good book on bog gardening? I think there would prbably be a lot more would grow there as well as rushes and grasses. I have seen some beautiful pond surrounds where they try and make a bog garden. Cool

Here are some nice plants to start you off! Big Grin

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252278814395?...MOEALw_wcB
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(14-04-2022, 12:19 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(14-04-2022, 11:59 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Can you embrace the bog and do more of what nature does best in your climate/conditions? Carnivorous plants? Although I admit, although that would be great for nature as peat bogs continue to disappear, it doesn't sound like very exciting gardening.
That would be very easy, I’d just leave it as it is  Big Grin . It would look exactly the same as the rest of the surrounding area. And I’d look like a right lazy ……..   Big Grin . mostly just rushes & grasses . Most of the carnivores plants seem to stick close to running water. Toes in the bog but sat next to burns.
You’d look like a right lazy …… that was just out of the bog!
(sorry - couldn’t resist that. You have made my day!)
[-] The following 6 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
Would it help the rest of the garden if you dug a pond? If so, I'd do that Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli