Jekkas Herbs
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yesterday I visited Jekkas Herbs on one of her open days. £5 to get in - you have to book online.
One of the best days out I've had in a long time.

We got there for 9.15 ready for opening at 9.30. Walked around and looked at the tunnels/glass houses and raised herb beds. Jekka herself was walking about chatting to everyone and giving info on which ones to choose. She was very helpful in my search for some mint varieties Smile

There was a bee talk held by a lady named Jean Vernon, she had a great knowledge and a love of bees and was an absolute joy to listen too. She could write children's novels! I'm not really into big lectures but  she caught a few bees, while she walked around the plants giving her talk. She gave the tale of the bee life, a few garden bees and interesting facts - which flowers were most beneficial for food this early in the year etc ... did you know hellebores held more nectar than most other flowers at this time of year? She really told a tale. She has a book out, unfortunately I couldn't afford it yesterday but maybe will get it for my birthday.

Then at 11, Jekka gave a talk. Also very casual and she is a fabulous person to listen to - extremely knowledgeable and very approachable whi just wants to talk plants!

The plants were well organised, fabulous quality. A bit pricier than your bog standard herb selections but I think that was to be expected.
She is planning to do a planting scheme to showcase more varieties on the farm and is looking for volunteers - if I was a little younger maybe Wink

I think we left around 12.30. Armed with a few purchases, there was an interesting seed collection. Books, tools and other garden related items in the shop. Her herb book is very good. Looking forward to reading that. Coffee and cake also available.
Well worth a visit.
[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, Garrett, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've often thought of visiting Jekka's herbs but know that I would be so spoilt for choice I wouldn't know where to start buying!! Jekka is a gardener that I respect - she really is an expert on her subject. I have a couple of her big books but the one I find most useful is the slim one that she published recently. It has all you need to know without being so heavy you can't lift the book.
Was the bee lady Jean Vernon?

...........and most importantly, what did you buy???
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
It was Jean Vernon. I think I could listen to her all day. She really has an absolute love of everything bee, talked about the cutter bee, cutting the leaf and rolling it up like a little sleeping bag, laying an egg, leaving a little packed lunch etc... the bees that lay eggs in empty snail shells, turns it so the rain and the wind doesn't get in, leaves some lunch before making a little wigwam out of grass over the top to camouflage - honestly wish I'd bought her book now Big Grin

It is worth a visit VC - I checked out herbs before I went so that I didn't get sidetracked.

I only wanted mints - and a cascading rosemary.
I bought rosemary boule
Mints - orange, Tasmanian, lemon, buddleia, a twisted one that I couldn't resist. I got chocolate again.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Garrett, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
I wish I’d known about the Open Day. I could’ve bumped in to you and said “Hello”, Scarlet.
Just looked it up on Google maps and it’s only 20 mins from me.
Believe it or not, I have never been there even though it’s so close.
[-] The following 5 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, Garrett, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Is this the bee books, Scarlet? Only £6.79 https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/jean-ver...1526766519
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-04-2022, 11:58 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: I wish I’d known about the Open Day. I could’ve bumped in to you and said “Hello”, Scarlet.
Just looked it up on Google maps and it’s only 20 mins from me.
Believe it or not, I have never been there even though it’s so close.
That's ridiculous! She does a few open days a month - if you ever fancy a meet up I'd be happy to go again.

#must add that it is only 50mins away from me and I can't believe I haven't made the effort before.
Likewise with lots of open gardens - last Summer I visited lots more. Some of them were really inspiring.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-04-2022, 12:16 PM)Veggie Wrote: Is this the bee books, Scarlet? Only £6.79 https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/jean-ver...1526766519
Thanks VC!! That's the one...I will get it.

I had a bit of a spend yesterday Wink bought jekkas herb book and a hori hori knife
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Had to look up what a hori hori knife was.
Yes, we shall both have to get to Jekka’s some time - as long as you leave the “weapon” at home!
[-] The following 6 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-04-2022, 09:22 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: Had to look up what a hori hori knife was.
Yes, we shall both have to get to Jekka’s some time - as long as you leave the “weapon” at home!
That would be lovely! I promise I will.

I left it on the kitchen table yesterday and son came home from his weekend away and he said "not another knife!" Big Grin
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Norfolk Grey