Cucumbers and more
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
This caught my eye. "Cucumber crisis: surging energy prices leave British glasshouses empty"

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/...022-03-31/

Hope everyone has cucumbers, sweet peppers and other such planted or scheduled for planting this year.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, Garrett, Proserpina, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
My (old, and some self-saved) crystal lemon cucumber seed is doing horribly. Nothing I've sown has sprouted at all. I've stuck all the rest in some damp kitchen roll in the propagator but no sprouts so far. Two seeds look like they are thinking about it. I only have one other salad cucumber (Diva) so I may need to get some more seed if I don't get any of the crystal lemon seed to germinate.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have 4 Beth Alpha ready to plant in their final pots. Will be sowing more soon.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, Mark_Riga, Proserpina

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've not started my cucs or courgettes yet, it was -2.8°C in the gh last night and I've only got 1 gh with leccy for any heating. I'm always shuffling tenders around because I've sown too early. I must remember that I plan to stagger sowing this year to prolong the season, any bets whether I succeed? Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, Garrett, Mark_Riga

Broadway Offline
I have a windowsill and a cold frame so will probably sow my cucurbits in a week or two.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Garrett

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-04-2022, 01:29 PM)JJB Wrote: I've not started my cucs or courgettes yet, it was -2.8°C in the gh last night and I've only got 1 gh with leccy for any heating. I'm always shuffling tenders around because I've sown too early.  I must remember that I plan to stagger sowing this year to prolong the season, any bets whether I succeed?  Big Grin
I don't have heating in the GH so my cucs/courgettes are sown in the propagator indoors. Once potted up they go out in the GH whatever the weather. If I remember I put a plastic box over them at night, but most times I forget. My theory is, take a chance. If they don't thrive, there's plenty of time to resow. 
As for taking bets on you, JJB, No way. Tongue
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Garrett, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have got one courgette sprouting on the living room windowsill, just because I couldn't resist. BTW the toms that were told to take their chances on unheated staging survived the -2.8° last night. We all know, Veggie, your gh runs at 24° all year round Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Garrett, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I wish Big Grin It was below freezing last night!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

SarrissUK Offline
I've not sown any cucumbers yet, and I will wait a little longer. I'm hoping to get the greenhouse up and running in the next couple of months, and until then space is limited in the old greenhouse. I might get one or two cucs started anyway - it doesn't hurt, right?
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Garrett, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
I don't sow cucurbits until early May since they'll be on a windowsill until the greenhouse is warm enough overnight and the windowsill is already jam-packed. Space only opens up when the tomatoes start going in to the greenhouse during the day.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Garrett, JJB, Veggie