"Oddities - Tomatillo, Physalis, Cucamelon & Achocha
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
These 2 are similar because they come ready-wrapped in their own little papery husk. Tomatillo taste, in my view, like lemony tomatoes whilst Physalis are more like pineapple.

I've grown both outdoors - the tomatillo were very productive and I was giving them away to anyone who looked in my direction, but I didn't eat many myself!! I'm going to grow them again this year as they can be dehydrated so I won't need to waylay passing strangers. 

Physalis are different - I can never grow enough of them to eat by the handful - certainly not enough to give away - but, on the day like today, when I've just picked 2 in the GH - they've been a delight. Need to grow more. Big Grin

Anyone else growing them this year?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 7 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
I have sown cape gooseberry/physalis twice already this year and I'm hoping the second sowing will have a chance to germinate in the better compost. I like them, but never grown them very well before. They're best off in the greenhouse, I thought?

I have grown tomatillos, but I can't really remember what they were like. I don't think I have any seeds (but I bet I will have ordered some before even finishing this post!)

Cucamelon fits in the same 'odd fruit' category I think, and I know people are divided over them, but I really enjoy them, particularly as a sweet, tangy nibble in the evenings. I don't think I have seeds for them either.. hmm... best go check!
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I usually keep the physalis in a pot, move it out in spring and back in again in autumn but I have grown them outdoors too. Don't think they survived the winter but in the GH they live for years getting taller each year.
I'm not convinced about growing cucamelons - they take up the same space as a cucumber which is more productive and I eat them like sticks of rock.
Since we're on "odd fruit" how about Achocha? Maybe I'll try them again this year!

Changed the title of the thread Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
Tomatillos sound lovely. Lemony tomatoes - yumm.
Never tried them. Is it too late to get seed and have a go?
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(30-03-2022, 07:03 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Tomatillos sound lovely. Lemony tomatoes - yumm.
Never tried them. Is it too late to get seed and have a go?
Should be fine to start them now. They're really easy to grow, very vigorous, need good support, do well outdoors, don't seem to suffer from any disease. We've got loads of them in the freezer from last year, we only really use them in Mexican recipes like chile verde or salsa verde. We gave a lot to a local restaurant and they really liked them roasted down, not sure what they served them with. They asked if we were growing them again this year but we just don't have the space.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Info on Tomatillos https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/growing-tomatillos
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I adore tomatillos and we eat them in huge quantities - salsas, curries, pickled, great in chutneys, and any recipe that calls for unripe tomatoes ...
I no longer have any seed but because they are so prolific and you need 2 plants for fertilisation I know that seedlings will start popping up both where they grew last year and some fruit fell, and in the compost heap!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I've been to look at my seeds, and I have achocha - two varieties, plus something that sounds like an achocha, but described as exploding cucumber with warning to wear protective glasses when handling the fruit! I'll definitely sow them LOL

I found some cucamelon seeds too, but not many, so now I've ordered cucamelon, tomatillos, sweet mace and orach from JustSeed.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Veggie

Garrett Offline
I'm growing a physalis for the first time this year. I sowed a few seeds, only one came up but it's looking healthy and I'm intrigued to see how it does in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
Apparently the exploding cucumber is not edible, in fact, very poisonous, so I'm not sure I will sow them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man