Unrequested seeds
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Just seen this article about gardeners receiving unknown seeds in the post.

However tempting it is, don't plant them!

https://thecanadian.news/2020/07/18/hund...VBBWbSrzUQ
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
More info in the Comments on this old Which article. https://conversation.which.co.uk/shoppin...zon-risks/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Unbelievable! Thanks for the warning.
I’ll pass this information on to the island gardening fb group. Lots of them are newbie lockdown gardeners, that may have ordered via amazon or eBay.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
An update on the mystery seeds..........
https://fortune.com/2020/08/03/china-fro...x3NzAlEqgM
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Small chilli

Mikey Offline
I’m assuming this is one of those brushing scams used a lot to get higher @mazon rankings. I was asked once if I posted a positive review of a laptop cable I’d get a free umbrella, I did and my brolley duly arrived not all examples are sinister. I think it’s a cheap way to enter a new market for a foreign business.

I can also see how it’s a cheap way to create panic in the recipients if your intentions are simply general disruption.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Jay Offline
Just a heads up everyone. Should you be sent these seeds you are asked to contact the following email address and let them know...taking it very seriously by the looks of it!

PlantHealth.Info@apha.gov.uk
West of Scotland
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
I received a packet of seeds today with no identification, I have not ordered any seeds so haven't a clue what they are, whither flower or veg, they are from China, so a bit wary of using them. Has anyone else received free seeds from China, and did you sow them

Broadway Offline
(25-03-2022, 06:50 PM)Spec Wrote: I received a packet of seeds today with no identification, I have not ordered any seeds so haven't a clue what they are, whither flower or veg, they are from China, so a bit wary of using them. Has anyone else received free seeds from China, and did you sow them
I seem to remember hearing about this before, I'm sure someone else will have more detail
Regards..........Danny Smile

toomanytommytoes Offline
Probably a 'brushing' scam:

"In one common, modern-day form, it operates something like this: Chinese companies compete for the highest placements in search listings on e-commerce platforms such as Amazon and AliExpress. Although the algorithms behind these rankings are secret, they are presumed to be affected by volume of sales and positive customer feedback. Some companies try to manipulate the rankings by inventing fake transactions. They, or most likely subcontractors, set up accounts using people’s real names and addresses. The companies then pretend to send something of value to those addresses and post fake glowing reviews under the recipients’ names.

All well and good, in its own crooked way, except that some platforms verify such transactions by requiring tracking data showing that a package has indeed traveled from the company to the customer’s address. That’s where the seeds come in. For the scam to work, a real package needs to be sent. But instead of the more valuable item the company is pretending to have sold, something cheap is substituted—hair ties, say, or plastic trinkets."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch...ng/619417/
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(25-03-2022, 06:50 PM)Spec Wrote: I received a packet of seeds today with no identification, I have not ordered any seeds so haven't a clue what they are, whither flower or veg, they are from China, so a bit wary of using them. Has anyone else received free seeds from China, and did you sow them
Merged your thread with one I prepared earlier. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Spec