Chitting Parsnips
Broadway Offline
Evening Folks

After some info as to when people start this, appreciate it will probably differ depending on location.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
I start mine about a month before the last frost date, so end of April for me. Some pre-chit or like me straight into the ground, i put six seeds per station.

Parsnips need soil temps of around 41°f or 5°c to germinate
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(14-02-2021, 07:54 PM)Admin Wrote: I start minea bout a month before the last frost date, so end of April for me. Some pre-chit or like me straight into the ground, i put six seeds per station.
Thanks Boss

Ok showing my ignorance definition of "station"?
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
Where you plant the seeds.... I put a bit of sharp sand in the bottom to aid drainage whilst germinating
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(14-02-2021, 08:01 PM)Admin Wrote: Where you plant the seeds.... I put a bit of sharp sand in the bottom to aid drainage whilst germinating
Ok so you then thin to 1 presumably?
  • Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
I chit them mid-way through April for planting out in the first week of May. 9 per square foot.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Bren Offline
Danny I chit mine the beginning of April then plant out around 3 weeks later. It does depend on the weather sometimes it’s later.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(14-02-2021, 08:52 PM)Bren Wrote: Danny I chit mine the beginning of April then plant out around 3 weeks later.  It does depend on the weather sometimes it’s later.
Thanks Bren / All

There seems to be a few conflicting dates out there.
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I bought 2 packets from Fother* with 500 seeds in each. I'll sow them March/April time depending on the weather. I sow them both quite thickly in 20' rows as they don't keep. Last year they germinated well and I got more or less full rows with plants 4 to 6" apart.

I'm not too happy with what I've been sent as one packet looks to be a year older: one says sow by 2024, the other by 2023. I'll be annoyed it 2023 one does poorly and I'd never expect any germination by then for parsnips. I know when I was starting out if I saw that, I would carefully sow about 100 this year as I would expect them to last as long as they say.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I usually sow mine in February, a pinch to each position in the row 5cm's apart and thin them to to about 10cms. They germinate erratically (supposedly three times to the devil before appearing) and I often have misses in the row if I don't add a pinch to each position.
The way the weather is lately I will be clearing snow before sowing! Rolleyes It could be March before I can get on the land. Angry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mark_Riga