Hydrangea hedge
toomanytommytoes Offline
(24-03-2022, 09:00 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(24-03-2022, 12:37 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Escallonia? Bees love the flowers.
After googling. I really like that. Evergreen as a bonus. Brilliant. Does it grow well from seed? I don’t know that I have access to cuttings. But it’s definitely going on my hedge list & stand alone shrub list. Thank you.
I've seen some people bemoaning that they self seed, but can't see anywhere selling seed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Escallonia can be prone to a fungal disease- my neighbours shrub looked pretty unsightly with blotchy leaves. I think it's recently got worse - so maybe look at that before choosing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

toomanytommytoes Offline
Weigela is another one that bees love. Not evergreen though, but masses of flowers.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Forsythia is another early flowerer. Cotoneaster? Pyracantha? Hebe ? Photinia Red Robin - bright red young leaves & evergreen. I like it.
SC I think you should have a mixed hedge as you'll never make your mind up while we throw ideas at you.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Forsythia is definitely on my list. Not considered for a hedging plant. All the cotoneaster I’ve ever grown has been really leggy! What I’m I doing wrong  Blush ! 
I think I might be having mixed hedges around the rest of the plot with all your suggestions  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Leggy cotoneaster here too - because I'm lazy about cutting it back - like most of the shrubs actually.
There's a big hebe in the front garden here - the bees love the flowers. Not a thing of great beauty but its evergreen, wildlife friendly and doesn't mind being hacked about a bit.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-03-2022, 09:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: Leggy cotoneaster here too - because I'm lazy about cutting it back - like most of the shrubs actually.
There's a big hebe in the front garden here - the bees love the flowers. Not a thing of great beauty but its evergreen, wildlife friendly and doesn't mind being hacked about a bit.
Now you’re talking my language! The hebe sounds perfect. It ticks all the boxes. Now I need to learn what it looks like so I can acquire cuttings if I spot any  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
How about verburnum Tinus? They are every green shrubs with a lovely flower and super easy to grow...also snowball which is often used for hedging.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I've got about 30' of hazel that I cut once a year for sticks. It seems to grow about 1 to 2 metres a year. good around garden but don't last too long.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(24-03-2022, 09:00 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(24-03-2022, 12:37 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Escallonia? Bees love the flowers.
After googling. I really like that. Evergreen as a bonus. Brilliant. Does it grow well from seed? I don’t know that I have access to cuttings. But it’s definitely going on my hedge list & stand alone shrub list. Thank you.

I had a couple of escalonia but they were very weedy and poor; one was out-competed by a neighbour (a photinia i think) and the other just died. I guess they didn't like heavy clay Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Small chilli