Sowing Old flower seeds
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm not much a flower grower, edibles always seem to take priority, but I do have a LOT of flower seeds. Its time for a cunning plan Wink

I've started with the A flowers and pulled out all the seeds that should have been sown before 2020. Then I sorted them into groups - annuals for cut flowers, flowers for drying, perennials, shade lovers, tall, ground cover or, when there are a lot of the same flower - like Antirrhinum and Achillea I've kept them together. I'll mix the seeds in each group together.
I've made a list of the seeds that are in each group so that I'll have a better chance of identifying anything that grows.
Since I'll never get round to sowing them in trays/pricking out and so on, I'm going to scatter them in an appropriate spot and hope for the best. They'll have more chance of growing this way than being stuck in a box in a cupboard. Just one plant from each batch would be a bonus.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Is this going to be incorporated into your roots, leaf, shoots plan? Or a plan of it’s own? Weekly sowings , the whole lot in one go but in different areas? How many packets of seeds are we talking about?

Oooh I’ve just invented a new game  Big Grin . How many packets of old flower seeds is veggie sowing?
Only one guess each and the closest wins absolutely nothing    Big Grin .
My guess is 50.

I really like this plan. I may have to do something similar    Blush . I’m always really tight when sowing flower seeds. Don’t know why, but it does mean I end up with lots of old seeds.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(22-03-2022, 12:49 AM)Veggie Wrote: I'm not much a flower grower, edibles always seem to take priority, but I do have a LOT of flower seeds. Its time for a cunning plan Wink

I've started with the A flowers and pulled out all the seeds that should have been sown before 2020. Then I sorted them into groups - annuals for cut flowers, flowers for drying, perennials, shade lovers, tall, ground cover or, when there are a lot of the same flower - like Antirrhinum and Achillea I've kept them together. I'll mix the seeds in each group together.
I've made a list of the seeds that are in each group so that I'll have a better chance of identifying anything that grows.
Since I'll never get round to sowing them in trays/pricking out and so on, I'm going to scatter them in an appropriate spot and hope for the best. They'll have more chance of growing this way than being stuck in a box in a cupboard. Just one plant from each batch would be a bonus.
What a brilliant idea!
Trouble is I haven’t got anywhere near enough space to be able to experiment with the loads of old seeds lying around in shoe boxes. Oh for a patch as big as yours!
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
SC like your way of thinking but not being a gambling (wo)man, the rules need to be clarified. Smile do we count individual packets or individual varieties, are we guessing overall totals at the end of this particular plan, daily sowings or per alphabet.?........ Oh my, this is getting too complicated, as she's got an alphabet to go through, and there's bound to be duplicates I'm saying 75.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Norfolk Grey, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'll give you a clue or two  with your guessing game.
All the seed names begin with A

The categories are :-
Bright flowers for cutting
Antirrhinum
Achillea
Ground cover
Tall Annuals
Perennial Fillers
For drying
Perennial Flowers
Annuals
Amaranthus
Greenhouse
Herb (not for eating)
Agastache
Edible flowers

PS I haven't included Agastache as I've put them somewhere "safe".................I'll find them!! - FOUND. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-03-2022, 10:10 AM)JJB Wrote: SC like your way of thinking but not being a gambling (wo)man, the rules need to be clarified. Smile do we count individual packets or individual varieties,  are we guessing overall totals at the end of this particular plan,  daily sowings or per alphabet.?........  Oh my, this is getting too complicated, as she's got an alphabet to go through, and there's bound to be duplicates I'm saying 75.
Definitely number of packets.  Smile  
starting to think I’ve massively underestimated with my guess  Big Grin

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Clue No. 3. Fourteen categories, therefore must be at least 14 packets.Big Grin

EDIT I've found the Agastache - they're another category. Big Grin
Added Edible flowers - Clue, includes some alliums.
  • Small chilli

JJB Online
Moonraker
And that's just the 'A's, we're definitely way out SC! How about hedging our bets, 50- 75 on A's with a review at each letter after clues have been magnanimoously given Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve started sowing old seeds. Turns out 2017 is old for self saved sunflowers. As none I started ( don’t remember when) have come up. Nearly all the packet of sunflowers I got with a magazine last year have all come up. So I’ve sown all my sunflower seeds. Didn’t count them, far to many. Just scattered them on top of the trays of no shows and put a little more compost on top.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've done my Final count of A Flowers. If I have identical duplicates, I've only counted them as One.

Do you want to guess before I start on B. Big Grin
  • Small chilli