Gherkins- 4 jars
Courgettes Genovese - 2
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What variety of gherkin do you grow? Is it the little ones or the big fat ones that we called Wallys (no idea why!).
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(18-06-2022, 10:09 PM)Veggie Wrote: What variety of gherkin do you grow? Is it the little ones or the big fat ones that we called Wallys (no idea why!).

This year ameliore de bourbonne, quite a long thin one, but previously I've grown petit vert de Paris, a classic stubby one. 
We're currently eating the 2020 vintage so it may take a while to find out if I prefer the new variety  Wink But maybe we'll crack open the first jar for aperos this evening.

The very first time I had gherkins was in a simple restaurant in Paris when I was little - the starter was a big dish of pate and a huge earthenware jar of cornichons both of which you helped yourself from. I should imagine environmental health would have a fit these days, but I fell in love with cornichons that day Smile
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Courgettes - 16 + 4 = 20 Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Broadway

Broadway Offline
(18-06-2022, 10:09 PM)Veggie Wrote: What variety of gherkin do you grow? Is it the little ones or the big fat ones that we called Wallys (no idea why!).
Made my day seeing you call them wallys Veggie, always called them that when wanting one with our fish & chips of a Friday night☺

Obviously been called one myself numerous times☺☺
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
We must be getting close to Wimbledon as my strawberries are starting to go mad! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Garrett, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(15-06-2022, 03:16 PM)Veggie Wrote: Garrett, that's why I sow Parthenon courgettes first as they're parthenocarpic (don't need fertilisation). https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_135...brid_seeds
My second sowings are for "ordinary" courgettes.
Thanks for the parthenon tip Veggie not heard of these before!
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(20-06-2022, 08:38 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(15-06-2022, 03:16 PM)Veggie Wrote: Garrett, that's why I sow Parthenon courgettes first as they're parthenocarpic (don't need fertilisation). https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_135...brid_seeds

I believe there are others Danny  I grew Sure Thing which is a parthenocarpic courgette. Can't tell you how it went because like a numpty I left it outside in a frost by accident and it is only just recovering.  Other courgettes are overtaking it.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(20-06-2022, 09:11 AM)JJB Wrote:

I believe there are others Danny  I grew Sure Thing which is a parthenocarpic courgette. Can't tell you how it went because like a numpty I left it outside in a frost by accident and it is only just recovering.  Other courgettes are overtaking it.
Thanks Jen will definitely buy some for next year as I still haven't harvested any yet!
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(20-06-2022, 09:13 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(20-06-2022, 09:11 AM)JJB Wrote:

Thanks Jen will definitely buy some for next year as I still haven't harvested any yet!

You're not alone Danny, we can't all keep up with Veggie. Mine aren't in full swing yet and the two I picked were very very small. We'll all be moaning we've got too many soon.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie