What's New for You in '22?
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I always like to try and grow something new for the kitchen each year, so this year it's orache (arroches in French) with a selection of half a dozen or so varieties. 
I'll let you know how I get on, but meanwhile what's new to you this year?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Garrett, Small chilli, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Lots of new varieties of things for me, but the things that are completely new:

Tomatillos
Watermelon (I doubt I will get anywhere, but thought I'd try since I have a greenhouse!)
Winter squash/pumpkins
Globe artichokes (I tried these several years ago but killed my seedlings)
Basil
Broad beans
Lima beans
Brussel sprouts
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Celeriac
Herb fennel
Kohlrabi
Marjoram
Cooking onions (I have grown walking onions before and had some rathe unsuccessful bunching onions)
Parsley
Parsnips
Swede
Calendula
Passion flower

Actually, a very long list of flowers and ornamental grasses, some of which I haven't even received yet as I just sent my order this week.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 5 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Farendwoman, Garrett, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
No new species but a few new tomato varieties and maybe a few new flowers from the seed swap.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Garrett, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
That's a great list Pros - I adore tomatillos! They make fabulous salsas and curries and self seed like mad here. I haven't bought seed for a few years, just wait to collect some seedlings from where I grew them the previous year. Two plants produce far more fruit than MrPP and I can eat so loads gets given away and a lot is left to fall producing next year's plants.
I love globe artichokes too, although found the plants to be pretty random from seed - one of my violet de Provence is actually a two metre cardoon Smile although that might be down to the seed supplier!

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Garrett, Proserpina

Garrett Offline
Lots of new varieties of tomatoes, french beans and herbs but also some new things for me to try:

Pumpkins and winter squash - some acorn squash, a butternut squash, a Marina di Chioggia squash and mini pumpkins (Jack Be Little and Baby Boo).

Climbing french beans - I usually just grow dwarf French beans but I've liked the look of the bean arches I've seen on YouTube videos so I'm growing a few different varieties, some for fresh pods and some beautiful ones for drying.

Greek Gigantes bean- I think this is classed as a runner bean, but it's one that's grown for the bean not the pod. I found a bag of beans in a supermarket so I'm hoping they're viable. I might go ahead and soak a few soon just to check.

Peppers - I've grown bell peppers before from transplant, but this is my first year growing from seed. I have Cayenne hot peppers and Corno di Toro Italian sweet peppers.
[-] The following 3 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot

Broadway Offline
(13-03-2022, 03:05 PM)Garrett Wrote: Lots of new varieties of tomatoes, french beans and herbs but also some new things for me to try:

Pumpkins and winter squash - some acorn squash, a butternut squash, a Marina di Chioggia squash and mini pumpkins (Jack Be Little and Baby Boo).

Climbing french beans - I usually just grow dwarf French beans but I've liked the look of the bean arches I've seen on YouTube videos so I'm growing a few different varieties, some for fresh pods and some beautiful ones for drying.

Greek Gigantes bean- I think this is classed as a runner bean, but it's one that's grown for the bean not the pod. I found a bag of beans in a supermarket so I'm hoping they're viable.  I might go ahead and soak a few soon just to check.

Peppers - I've grown bell peppers before from transplant, but this is my first year growing from seed. I have Cayenne hot peppers and Corno di Toro Italian sweet peppers.
I grew Greek Gigantes last year nice big beans
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, PyreneesPlot

SarrissUK Offline
I'm trying okra this year and that's a first for me.

Jerusalem artichokes - my mum used to grow them, but I have never grown them myself.

This year should be the first year I can get some perennial kale to try, hopefully!

Other new things:
Par Cel Celery
Cauliflower - never successfully grown a head of cauli!
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Garrett, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-03-2022, 09:20 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I always like to try and grow something new for the kitchen each year, so this year it's orache (arroches in French) with a selection of half a dozen or so varieties. 
I'm doing orach for cut flowers Big Grin....may get to eat some too

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(13-03-2022, 07:59 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(13-03-2022, 09:20 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I always like to try and grow something new for the kitchen each year, so this year it's orache (arroches in French) with a selection of half a dozen or so varieties. 
I'm doing orach for cut flowers Big Grin....may get to eat some too

Oh, that's exciting and means I have an excuse to not eat it if its a bit bleugh Smile I have a packet with six varieties mixed together!

[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have some Purple Orach to try this year. Also...............
Giant Bolivian Achocha
Cucumbers - Wautoma and Siberian Podanck
Tomatoes - Gardener's Sweetheart, Gardener's Ectasy, Primavera, Resi, Jen's Tangerine
Soapwort
Roveja Peas
Oyster leaf/Mertensia Maritima
Dudi Mo Sayed
Adenophora Triphylla/ Ladybells
Atriplex Halimus/Saltbush (growing from cuttings)
Hablitzia Tamnoides/Caucasian Spinach Vine

Maybe Quinoa and Amaranth
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot