Hedge/screen for foliage or flowers
Farendwoman Offline
OK - I have a super fruit cage that my other half built for me about four years ago.
It’s 2 metres high. However it’s not the most beautiful structure in the garden and needs to be screened.
I’ve tried morning glory, which looked lovely but climbed in to the cage and tried to strangle the raspberries.
Also tried achocha that similarly took over - but did at least give us some tasty fruits.
I’d like some suggestions, please, for maybe a hedge that will screen the cage and also give me some foliage or floral pickings for my flower bunches.. preferably keeps its leaves in winter to do a really good screening job. Over to you!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
First thought - would a hedge stop the sun/light?
Second - how about sweet peas?
I have a passionfruit growing over a cage but its not much good for picking. Its in leaf now.
Clematis?
I'm growing a camellia hedge - evergreen, plenty of flowers in winter. Not sure how good they are for flower bunches though.
How about a variegated evergreen like euonymus or eleagnus or pittosporum?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
Hedge would be on north side of it so not a problem.
Sweet peas - will have two good long rows of them elsewhere.
Love the idea of a camellia hedge. Would screen the cage and look good all year round. No good for picking, flowers fade really quickly, but not worried about that.
Also like the idea of pittosporum …. I’ve got a couple of small pot bound “Tom Thumb” that I’ve had for about twelve months that need planting out, and the foliage would be really good for picking.
Also wondering about eucalyptus…. I’ve got a couple of small pot bound ones from yet another impulse buy a while back. Lots to think about.
Thanks for suggestions Veggie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
How about something like a cornus?
No winter folliage but really dense beautiful stems that you might be able to use too.
At the moment I'm looking at the common wild one that seeds everywhere that we have as part of a mixed hedge. The stems are deep red and although don't hide the house beyond they do mask it and are lovely in the sunshine. We have Gold Flame too.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I would have suggested similar to PP and VC.
Elizabeth is a lovely pittosporum- I have Tom Thumb too. I think the plain green ones are faster growing for cutting? Even the plain ones are fabulous cut.
I planted an area of cornus - love the coloured stems.
Eucalyptus are very fast growing - coppice every year to keep them small. I wanted to do similar. They are generally easy from seed but none have germinated for me this year. Started last Autumn.

I bought a gara eliptica last year?? I'm off to search the name. Absolutely gorgeous tassels and something a little different for cutting during the winter?
#Garrya Eliptica - Silk Tassel Bush
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
IIRC Eucalyptus leaves change shape as the plant grows. Young leaves are round and best for arrangement, older leaves are long and thin, which is why you need to coppice them unless you have a pet koala. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Farendwoman Offline
Thanks for all the suggestions. Cornus sounds a good idea too. I’ve got a couple of yellow ones (flavirameau) but it’s nowhere near as stunning as the bright orange or red ones. I think my Tom Thumbs would be too short to do much of a screening job. Shall investigate Elizabeth (my daughter’s name!)

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
There's a good guide on pittosporum varieties here, though it doesn't say which are the fastest growing:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/pdfs/plant...sporum.pdf

Farendwoman Offline
(22-02-2022, 04:06 PM)Scarlet Wrote: There's a good guide on pittosporum varieties here, though it doesn't say which are the fastest growing:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/pdfs/plant...sporum.pdf
Thanks, Scarlet!