What's your favourite........
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Seedling widger thingy.

I am planning to transplant some toms growing under lights indoors. To save them getting chilled I  brought all the kit indoors, filled pots, label and widger, etc.  

Now I'm sure we all have a favourite thingy to help seedlings out of their comfy little pot into a bigger hopefully comfier pot, what's yours?  Mine was a pencil thin plastic widger with a slender fork at one end and just a rounded end on the other, until it broke.  I can't find a like for like replacement so I put up with various conical ended and forked widgers but I do miss my favourite. In addition I have an 8" sock knitting needle (pokey stick point at both ends) to rease roots etc, it's very useful.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
Magnum ice cream stick to lever the root ball up, flat wooden kebab skewer with a point at one end and a paddle at the other for root teasing.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Mine's an old table knife with the blade ground down to a rounded point - if you follow my meaning! It has also lost its handle - it was a white ?plastic one.
Beneath the handle is a slim round pokey thing (the dibber end). Also used for pushing rootballs up through the hole on the bottom of the module.
The blade will slip down the sides of the modules, cut through any stray roots, and lever up the seedlings.
I have a couple of metal ones, like rounded spatulas, that were cheap in Wilkos - and pencils and, invariably, my finger.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Jen, Is this the one you have https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-widger.../p/0513160
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Broadway

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(11-02-2022, 12:06 PM)Veggie Wrote: Jen, Is this the one you have https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-widger.../p/0513160
I used to have one of those but it vanished in the mists of time. Rolleyes Now i use a ballpoint pen, or whatever comes to hand!  Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(11-02-2022, 12:06 PM)Veggie Wrote: Jen, Is this the one you have https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-widger.../p/0513160

I have those as a alternative  but they're too beefy for little things like begonia seedlings and the ends are not that useful. My deceased favourite was literally pencil thin and thickness and no amount of goggling has resulted in a similar one. To be fair I think it was a mag freebie several decades ago  Rolleyes maybe I could persuade P to make me one, or take up whittling  myself. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
plastic plant label - I wouldn't say it is my favourite but that is what I always end up using.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 5 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I use one of two small and very old vegetable paring knives for pricking out. Love them! The wooden handles are smooth and comfortable.
And I have a couple of old once-serrated knives I use for weeding. All the appropriate tools purchased for the job have fallen apart over time, but not the knives!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 6 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
A teaspoon! The spoon end for lifting roots clumbs out of seed trays, and the handle for picking up tiny seeds with. The back of the handle is slightly indented which makes it very useful for those teeny, tiny seeds that would be difficult to sow in 2s or 3s without the precision of that handle.

I've got loads of other widgets for those jobs, but I always go back to the spoon.
[-] The following 5 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(11-02-2022, 03:28 PM)Norfolk Grey Wrote: plastic plant label - I wouldn't say it is my favourite but that is what I always end up using.
I used to do the same but ended up breaking them all the time, so now I just break the ice lolly sticks instead.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie