Good companies with paper catalogues
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
My grandma is 92 and still has a huge garden (more than a third of an acre) in NE Lincolnshire. Flowers have been her great love since she was a small child and she spent decades surveying wild plants and flowers, and working as a warden for a nature reserve. She needs my parents to do the hard work now, but she still directs proceedings and gets out in the garden in better weather.

She uses the internet for emails and did her grocery shopping online until she couldn't get slots during COVID (apparently a 90+ year old living alone in rural Lincolnshire wasn't enough to get priority status...) but she hasn't managed to learn how to surf, so pottering around online seed catalogues isn't really an option.

She's keen to get some new plants and seeds for this year. Predominantly flowers, and mostly perennials, but she grows (or makes my parents grow!) some fruit and veg too, and might be tempted by the occasional annual.

Can anyone suggest any smaller companies with nice paper catalogues? I've just signed her up for one from Chiltern Seeds, and my Mum has signed her up with Sarah Raven. Any companies that might have unusual varieties would be particularly appreciated as her garden is already very well stocked (she's been there almost 50 years).
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Thomas Etty will send a catalogue if you send them an SAE - http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/seeds/index.html

I don't know who else to suggest. I have been going through various seed sites in the last couple of days and I feel so very uninspired.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 3 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Lovely Idea, Pros and all credit to Grandma. Smile
I like Franchi although its not a big catalogue with huge glossy pictures.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Proserpina

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Plants of distinction (I have never had issues with them) and they do a catalogue https://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(05-02-2022, 12:03 PM)Norfolk Grey Wrote: Thomas Etty will send a catalogue if you send them an SAE -  http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/seeds/index.html

I don't know who else to suggest. I have been going through various seed sites in the last couple of days and I feel so very uninspired.

Ooh, I bet she would love their wild flower catalogue. Will get an SAE off to them Smile
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(05-02-2022, 12:20 PM)Veggie Wrote: Lovely Idea, Pros and all credit to Grandma. Smile
I like Franchi although its not a big catalogue with huge glossy pictures.

Perfect - I have signed her up!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(05-02-2022, 12:23 PM)Norfolk Grey Wrote: Plants of distinction (I have never had issues with them) and they do a catalogue https://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/

Another great one, thank you.

This is very dangerous - I'm learning about lots of companies I didn't know about and they have interesting things... Big Grin

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Oh no, and now my Mum is browsing your suggestions too!  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Well least you are safe from the irish ones as I don't think any will post to us now   Cry Cry Cry

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
This is my Grandma's garden, as viewed from the house (I think all the trees in the photo are ones she planted herself - certainly the silver birches were ones she planted when she first moved there):

And looking back towards the house:

Shame I don't have any good photos of the fruit and veg area that don't have my parents in them - they wouldn't thank me for posting photos of them all hot from digging! Or closer views of the borders - she has so many plants crammed in there Big Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie