Wormery?
Spec Offline
(15-02-2022, 05:24 PM)Veggie Wrote: Rather than start another thread, just wanted to say that I've acquired a freebie Original Organics Wormery identical to the one I almost fell into some years ago!
Need to source some worms now. My "plan" is to use the Hotbin compost (which is a bit rough) to feed the wormery in the hope that they will chomp the compost into finer compost.

Actually that is the best way to feed a wormery Veggie, using rough compost and if it feels too wet add some dry cardboard to soak up any moisture, if you think it's too dry add moist cardboard, doing that would mean there is no "worm juice" to drain off, but all the goodness will be in the compost
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Confession - I never did start that wormery that I collected - its full of grass cuttings at the moment. However, tomorrow I'm picking up another Original Wormery which is supposed to be half full and contains worms. Wish me luck bringing it home in the car as I don't have any worm seatbelts. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
If you take a handful of the worms and put them in the old wormery with some food scraps (buried in the grass cuttings) then you'll soon have two wormeries on the go!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a 3rd wormery but it needs a tap as I "borrowed" it for a waterbutt. Maybe my nutty idea of a row of wormeries could become reality. Big Grin I don't know where to keep them though!

Do you have your wormery now, Pros?
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Yes, it's been set up in the carport for the past few months. However, they've never been outside over winter before, so I need to work out where they can move to as it's getting chillier. The plan was to have them in the house (as I always kept them inside before) but they got a little infested with other critters while in foster care and I'm less keen to bring all those other beasties inside!

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can the bin be insulated with bubblewrap or similar?

The Duck came up with https://thesquirmfirm.com/easy-ways-insulate-worm-bin/
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
It could, but that will make it harder to access. I could also move it into the garage, greenhouse or shed for a bit of extra protection. Or bring it in the house after all, and do my best to get rid of the pests (I've successfully dealt with a couple of fruit fly invasions in the past through a combination of making sure all scraps are well buried, carefully controlling the moisture levels, and liberal sprinklings of diatomaceous earth, but now there are other beasties in there too).

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Mine definitely won't be in the house! The GHs are full and don't want it in the garage - all that's left in the old chicken shed which is also full but I may be able to fit one in there with a bit of juggling.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have a wormery, but have it for a different reason to you lot! Tongue Mine is for keeping lob worms in for fishing. Its just a large plastic bucket filled with soil. I keep it under cover in the log store so it doesn'tget flooded as it has no drainage holes. My Son bought some giant lob worms the last time we went fishimg and the ones that were left I added to the wormery. These were about 10 inches long and fat so I just put them on the top. They have all gone so hopefuly they are still in there. I add a couple of cabbage leaves to the top now and again and they seem to vanish so I would imagine all is well? Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do you want to hear a story? Scroll past if you don't. Wink
Went out this morning for the wormery, first stop for a bag of music CDs, then on to the Wormery home - on a newish housing estate I've never been to before, one of these places where all the houses are squashed in at silly angles to pack the most houses in. Go to Number 1 house, ring bell, knock door...........no answer. Try again................no answer. Find phone, attempt to send message..........failed.
Check address...........should have gone to Number 11.
Can't see Number 11 anywhere but there's a man and youth loading stuff on top of a pickup truck, so I ask them if they know where No. 11 is. The man, who seemed to have drunk a few bottles of hard stuff before breakfast, said that the lad was No 11's son and to follow him and he'd take me to the house. We wriggle down a narrow path to the house and I'm told to move the car to the lane that runs around the back of the house. Now, I imagined a car width lane but No, it was another little alleyway. So I park and prepare to struggle down the alley clutching a wormery. I'd already prepared the car - big plastic tray to put the wormery in, bin bags in case I had to empty it, gloves and so on. As I gather up my supplies, I spot the lad, trundling the wormery  down the alley on a sacktruck. He picked it up, laid it on its side in the back of the car and I didn't need to touch it at all.
I was a bit concerned about its conditions as it looked very grey and there seemed to be a split at the back. A closer look reveals it has an insulated cover.Big Grin
I drove home cautiously, as I didn't want the bin opening in the back of the car. About 100 yards from home, a cat ran out in front of me! I braked, of course, and the bag of CDs slid off the passenger seat and they all fell out!!
I'm home now, its pouring with rain and the wormery is still in the back of the car, and there it will stay until the weather improves. Need to find a place to put it first. The CDs are in the house though.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH, Proserpina, Small chilli, Vinny