2022/23 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired
Spec Offline
(13-01-2022, 02:59 PM)JJB Wrote: I bought some more 6" white plastic stick labels off ebay £3.50 for 50 off. The bigger ones are easier to find in the soil at the end of the season. They get reused every year so I don't feel too guilty about the plastic.

JJB some information for you, if you shop around at the end of the gardening season, all the big supermarket stores sell of their stock at greatly reduced prices, in the past I have picked up packets of 25, 6" labels for 50p
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-01-2022, 04:18 PM)Spec Wrote: I received 15 packets of seeds today with a garden magazine, 4 of them doubles, redicchio, lettuce, red salad bowl, nasturtium, and tomboncino courgette, no doubt the extras along with anything I don't want will end up at my sons, but getting the trombo. seeds made me wonder if there will be a competition for the biggest, or weirdest trombo. this year Smile
Spec - just seen this advert for that mag:-

Whether you've a large back garden or just a small patio, the Kitchen Garden 'How To...' guides are perfect for beginners and experienced gardeners alike. Priced at just £9.99 each (or £40 for the series - saving 20%) they come packed with great advice from experts, plus the first issue comes with 15 packs of seeds worth at least £21 and are just what you need to get growing!

If I were you (and fortunately I'm not) I'd get in touch with them and say thta you didn't expect the 15 packets to contain duplicates, but 15 different seeds. If they're decent, they'll send you a proper set of seeds..................for nowt. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Spec

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve just received 7 packets of very unsuspected chill & pepper seeds. Post man was on a go slow. They were posted on the 14th December! Although my post code wasn’t quite right . Thank you to my mystery supply. Not really a mystery as he sent me a little note    Big Grin . Thank you  Heart .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Spec Offline
[/quote]
Spec - just seen this advert for that mag:-
I'd get in touch with them and say thta you didn't expect the 15 packets to contain duplicates, but 15 different seeds. If they're decent, they'll send you a proper set of seeds..................for nowt. Big Grin
[/quote]
I have contacted them Veggie, to inform them of the mistake, I have received an apology and an offer of more seeds, but I have declined this offer, as I simply wanted them to know that the mistake was made, and after all I did get 15 packets of seeds, so I am quite happy with that, and my son will be happy with the duplicates along with any I won't be sowing.
But more than anything I feel it would be wrong, complaining just to get more seeds
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
^^^ That's all very well but the 4 packets that you didn't receive could be the ones that you really want!. You're not complaining "just to get more seeds" but to get the seeds that have been paid for.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
15 Packets of RHS seeds received today from the annual Seed Distribution;-

Angelica
Baptisia Australis & Mixed
Dianthus Carthusianorum
Gazania Linearis
Lobelia x Speciosa
Myrrhis Odorata
Nepeta Parnassica
Primula Florindae
Salvia Nemorosa & Mixed
Scabiosa Cretica
Trollius Chinensis
Lupinus Arboreus
Corynabutilon x Suntense

All perennials - didn't choose annuals this year. Too much faff. Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Scarlet

MartinH Offline
My bag of 15 RHS seeds hasn't arrived yet.

Sad

Still, I dare say they won't be long now. Mine are:

Ammi majus (false bishop's weed)
Campanula latifolia (giant bellflower)
Eryngium bourgatii (Mediterranean sea holly)
Primula bulleyana (Bulley's primrose)
Salvia nemorosa (Balkan clary)
Scabiosa cretica (pincushion flower)
Rodgersia pinnata (featherleaf rodgersia)
Veronica longifolia (garden speedwell)
Lupinus arboreus (tree lupin)
Cyclamen hederifolium (ivy-leaved cyclamen)
Eccremocarpus scaber (Chilean glory flower)
Eryngium giganteum (Miss Willmott's ghost)
Baptisia australis (blue false indigo)
Dianthus carthusianorum (German pink)
Primula florindae (Tibetan cowslip)

I spotted 5 overlaps with Veggie!
[-] The following 4 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
How funny that we should choose the same seeds! I make it 6 overlaps and I also had Campanula latifolia from the Scottish Forest garden acouple of days ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-01-2022, 03:44 PM)Spec Wrote:
(13-01-2022, 02:59 PM)JJB Wrote: I bought some more 6" white plastic stick labels off ebay £3.50 for 50 off. The bigger ones are easier to find in the soil at the end of the season. They get reused every year so I don't feel too guilty about the plastic.

JJB some information for you, if you shop around at the end of the gardening season, all the big supermarket stores sell of their stock at greatly reduced prices, in the past I have picked up packets of 25, 6" labels for 50p

You might be right Spec, but in our area the 6" labels are like hen's teeth, never seen them in the shops/supermarkets discounted or not,  they only seem to have the small ones.  Can't say about garden centres though, always find them well overpriced and full of tat, so don't visit them often. I'll keep an eye out next season though, thanks for the tip.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Mrs B purchased 2 hydrangeas for the small front garden
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie