2022/23 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Controlled release granules have two main types. One is controlled by moisture availability (which can be problematical if we have showery weather as all the nutrients are leached out in one go!)

The other type is temeperature controlled. If you imagine tiny golf balls filled with fertiliser which leach out from the 'dimples' as the temperature rises but if it's too cold retains the nurients as it contracts.
In my opinion the second type is better and can control release of fertiliser for up to 6 months! Cool

My white onions that I was so impressed with last year have arrived so will be planted along with the yellow and red onions when I prepare the beds for them. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(09-04-2023, 09:07 AM)Vinny Wrote: Controlled release granules have two main types. One is controlled by moisture availability (which can be problematical if we have showery weather as all the nutrients are leached out in one go!)

The other type is temeperature controlled. If you imagine tiny golf balls filled with fertiliser which leach out from the 'dimples' as the temperature rises but if it's too cold retains the nurients as it contracts.
In my opinion the second type is better and can control release of fertiliser for up to 6 months! Cool

My white onions that I was so impressed with last year have arrived so will be planted along with the yellow and red onions when I prepare the beds for them. Smile

Thanks Vinny, which brand  controlled release ferti do you go for?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
(09-04-2023, 09:30 AM)JJB Wrote:
(09-04-2023, 09:07 AM)Vinny Wrote: Controlled release granules have two main types. One is controlled by moisture availability (which can be problematical if we have showery weather as all the nutrients are leached out in one go!)

Thanks Vinny, which brand  controlled release ferti do you go for?
I really shouldn' ttell you this but before I retired I was Head Groundsman at a University. As such I had a sizeable budget and ordered tonnes and tonnes of  fertiliser and grass seed mainly for football and rugby pitches. I was getting sick of the short term gain from conventional fetiliser and the constant need to get manpower to spread it. After much experimentation I finally narowed it it down to a twice yearly application of temperature controlled release fertiliser (Spring & Summer with Autumn & winter spread later in the season) The Summer fert was higher in Nitrogen than the Winter stuff and each gave a constant feed for six months.
When I left the Uni, I didn't realise I had a bag of Autumn fertiliser left in the back of the car and this single bag has sustined me at the allotment ever since! Blush Its so long ago I honestly can't remember which brand it was,but it was suppied in 20Kg bags only.
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
My concern with controlled release fertilisers is the polymers they coat the granules with not being biodegradable. I've found empty blue plastic shells in pots, and the last time I bought compost with blue granules in was over 3 years ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(09-04-2023, 12:58 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: My concern with controlled release fertilisers is the polymers they coat the granules with not being biodegradable. I've found empty blue plastic shells in pots, and the last time I bought compost with blue granules in was over 3 years ago.
We did tests and found the stuff we used totally degraded? We used it for many years and I can't say I ever found any 'shells' remaining in the substrate.We did add 100 tonne of Messingham sports sand to each pitch each year as a topdressing so thats maybe why I never found any spent fertiliser shells? I have seen slow release fertiliser with masive granular size from Sierrablen (which we tried and discarded) but ours were micro grans and not in the fluerecent colours I have seen sold in GC's. Cry
I like to grow organic but it isn't feasible on Sports pitches? (not then ,anyway) We once tried organic chicken manure based pellets on the cricket outfield. It was great until we had a shower of rain where all the criceters came off the oval holding there noses! Big Grin We had rat problems in storage with it as well! Sick
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
When I left my job, I didn’t realise I had a load of pens, pencils, envelopes etc in my car!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(09-04-2023, 02:54 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: When I left my job, I didn’t realise I had a load of pens, pencils, envelopes etc in my car!
When I left my last job, the organisation was being shut down so we all left with the contents of the stationery cupboard and various other souvenirs. I have the name plaque from my office door somewhere - should put it on the shed .Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I have a terrible habit of making it all the way home with jelly (lubricant) and suppositories or enemas in my pocket. Of course I take them back again, but it sometimes takes a while before I remember. It's resulted in a couple of raised eyebrows when my parents have helped me to move in the past Big Grin
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(09-04-2023, 02:54 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: When I left my job, I didn’t realise I had a load of pens, pencils, envelopes etc in my car!
It's amazing how forgetfull you can become.

Vinny Offline
(09-04-2023, 03:25 PM)Proserpina Wrote: I have a terrible habit of making it all the way home with jelly (lubricant) and suppositories or enemas in my pocket. Of course I take them back again, but it sometimes takes a while before I remember. It's resulted in a couple of raised eyebrows when my parents have helped me to move in the past Big Grin
My pockets are all filled with doggy poo bags................unused thankfully! Big Grin