2022 - What I did today
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Started to weed my long border, did a quarter and collected several tubs of leaves.

OH decided he would garden today as well and took out several large branches from the hazelnut bushes.
To avoid getting roped into that job I moved to the raspberry patch on the side of the greenhouse. It's full of stingy nettles. So all needs digging over and weeding. The ground is really soft so I did manage to do about 1/10th of it. I filled a bin completely with weeds and nettles. If I could get back to that tomorrow I would be chuffed.

One mouse down today - though also disturbed a mouse nest when digging in the raspberry patch Smile
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, MartinH, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Watered the GHs for the first time for a while. Any excuse to stay in there in the warm,Wink
Cleaned out the chooks and added the bedding to Mr Greedy's capacious tum.
Cut back a few more raspberry canes.
Raked and turned some weed heaps.
Found a pot of hyacinths, planted about 3 years ago. Brought it out of the undergrowth and into the light where I can enjoy the flowers.
Lots more daffodil leaves appearing and bluebells. Soon be spring. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Revisited my long border path clean up.
I did do some spot weeding of the border but it is full of snow drops so it's pretty difficult to do much. I am having trouble in there as I seem to have a lot of grass/couch popping up. Took some nettles out and pruned the roses in that border.
I need more bags for the leaves - all my compost bins are full.

A before and after photo - though not sure you can see much difference Big Grin

#note my coat hanging up VC - it gets hot if you do a bit of work Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Don't know about spotting a difference - I can't spot your coat. Wink
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-01-2022, 07:42 PM)I Veggie Wrote: Don't know about spotting a difference - I can't spot your coat. Wink
You can't spot it?? Really- I thought you would see it straight away.

Took me all day that border, still more to do on it for tomorrow.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I thought it was a body hanging from the tree! .............and I don't wear a coat in the garden to start with.Big Grin
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Here looking for inspiration/motivation. I've been on nights over the weekend and got home around half eleven on Monday morning as I left work really late. Yesterday was *not* a productive day, so I need to try and make up for it today but haven't been sure what to tackle. I'd love to get going on some beds but don't have any compost yet.

Reading Veggie's post about staying in a nice warm greenhouse, I think that can be today's job - an hour or two sorting out the greenhouse to start getting it ready for early sowings Smile
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I spent about four hours in the garden in the end. I cleared everything out of the greenhouse, then removed as much of the moss sticking out between panes on the inside as I could. Then I washed all the glass on the inside - that took ages as there's an awful lot of glass in a greenhouse! After that, I gave it a quick wipe over with a dry cloth to get rid of the worst streaks (I should probably have rinsed it first, but I was getting a bit chilly by then!)

I started tackling some of the moss on the outside, but I'm going to need to get a ladder out to do that properly. Instead, I spent some time sorting through all the stuff I'd removed - chucking some, putting some aside to freecycle, and other stuff to keep and use.

I also spent a bit more time investigating the shed. One side of the roof is unfelted and very damp, but I think I need to wait for it to be a bit warmer and drier before I refelt it or it's just going to trap the damp inside and make it rot. After that, I had a general potter about and admired the sproutings and buddings and new growth everywhere.

A good afternoon Smile
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 5 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today I tackled the raspberry patch and currant patch again. It was full of stingy nettles/couch. I've maybe done half now? Lots of the raspberry canes went in the bin. It's really wet up there and lots of them seem rotten? I should have taken some cuttings. It used to be a fabulous patch.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I've a row of raspberries next to some currant bushes. The best raspberry canes are now in the middle of the bushes. while the row of raspberries is a bit pathetic. In the row, a lot were 3' to 4' high while from the bushes were 7' easily.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie