2022 - What I did today
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
#1,351
(26-11-2022, 10:21 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Today I've spent most of the day looking at cars that I might want to buy and nearly driving 50 miles to look at one but didn't, because I rang the dealer and the car has sold. Someone rear ended me yesterday when I was going with Jay to drop his car off to have his brakes looked at. My car is a write off - it would be more expensive to fix than it's worth.

I've found another car I'd like to buy, but can't go see it until Monday night.
Sorry to hear that Sarris.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,352
Hope you're OK, Sarriss. It always seems wrong that the innocent driver has to buy a new car when an idiot drives into them.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
#1,353
Thank you - I'm fine, it wasn't a massive impact, but it shattered the bumper and bent the back end of the car. Such a lovely, reliable little car too. On a positive note, I can buy my RAV4 now, with a towbar which might just mean I can get a little trailer now! Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
#1,354
Ooh, a little trailer so you can buy more plants? And bigger plants!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,355
The added bonus of a towbar which will give rearenders something to think about Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
#1,356
(27-11-2022, 01:36 AM)SarrissUK Wrote: Thank you - I'm fine, it wasn't a massive impact, but it shattered the bumper and bent the back end of the car. Such a lovely, reliable little car too. On a positive note, I can buy my RAV4 now, with a towbar which might just mean I can get a little trailer now! Big Grin
Next door neighbour has a RAV4, he swears by it, while I swear AT my car! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,357
(27-11-2022, 11:01 AM)JJB Wrote: The added bonus of a towbar which will give rearenders something to think about Big Grin
Agreed - My husband fitted a towbar on nearly every car we had - for that reason - and the occasional trailer tow.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

SarrissUK Offline
#1,358
(27-11-2022, 04:41 AM)Proserpina Wrote: Ooh, a little trailer so you can buy more plants? And bigger plants!
Yes! Lots of bigger plants, the possible opportunities to transport not just plants, but horse manure, furniture etc... the list is long Big Grin
(27-11-2022, 11:01 AM)JJB Wrote: The added bonus of a towbar which will give rearenders something to think about Big Grin
I bloody hope so! I think his car came away fairly unscathed, but his wallet didn't. He works away, clearly, as he lives a good 40 miles away from here (I took a picture of his driving licence), so I told him I wouldn't ring the police if he gives me a wad of money to replace my car. He didn't hesitate.

I've always wanted a RAV4, but when I've been looking for cars, they were either too expensive or none available. Let's hope for better luck this time Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,359
(27-11-2022, 12:51 PM)SarrissUK Wrote:
(27-11-2022, 04:41 AM)Proserpina Wrote: Ooh, a little trailer so you can buy more plants? And bigger plants!
Yes! Lots of bigger plants, the possible opportunities to transport not just plants, but horse manure, furniture etc... the list is long Big Grin
I bloody hope so! I think his car came away fairly unscathed, but his wallet didn't. He works away, clearly, as he lives a good 40 miles away from here (I took a picture of his driving licence), so I told him I wouldn't ring the police if he gives me a wad of money to replace my car. He didn't hesitate.

I've always wanted a RAV4, but when I've been looking for cars, they were either too expensive or none available. Let's hope for better luck this time Smile

Quick thinking Sarriss, was there something on his license he didn't want the cops to see? As my car is very much loved, 15 yrs old and can't be replaced like for like I would need gazillions from anyone writing it off.  How'd you know how much to sting him for? Fingers crossed for a RAV4
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
#1,360
It was Jay that told me to ask for cash, and it helped that I was in a rush to get back home for work (meeting with execs 30 mins after he drove into me). I suspect he might have had a bevvie or two the night before too, judging by his slowness to react so he was petrified of the police. Jay helped me along and I tripled what my car is worth, easily. The guy was ever so quick to take me up on the offer, and it certainly has helped me out. I would only have got 300 off the insurance I think, and he gave me a grand, by bank transfer. If I'd smelled alcohol on him I would've rang the police, no matter what as I absolutely detest drink driving, but I was suspicious of his fear for the police and just took advantage of that.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny