2022 - What I did today
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
#1,101
After having gathered all the bits of scrap together I finally made a start on building my new brake disk coal forge. Cool Fabricated the main table and set in the brake disk. That was enough metal beating for today as it was far  too hot to work. Rolleyes

Off now to Box n Core work where I will again loose copious amounts of sweat! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,102
Cut back a lot of a laurel that had grown to large for its position - squashed between next door's wall and GH No 2. Bit tricky as fallen branches were likely to land on the GH. Anyway, mission accomplished and branches and leaves inside the garden waste bins for collection tomorrow.
Our bins are collected fortnightly and the day before collection always turns into a major pruning/weeding exercise so that the bins can be filled. I can't bear to put a half empty bin out.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,103
(11-08-2022, 11:25 PM)Veggie Wrote: Cut back a lot of a laurel that had grown to large for its position - squashed between next door's wall and GH No 2. Bit tricky as fallen branches were likely to land on the GH. Anyway, mission accomplished and branches and leaves inside the garden waste bins for collection tomorrow.
Our bins are collected fortnightly and the day before collection always turns into a major pruning/weeding exercise so that the bins can be filled. I can't bear to put a half empty bin out.

You sound just like P, we pay for two green bins and it really pains him to have an empty one, he even lends the bin to a pal down the road just to get it filled sometimes  Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
#1,104
Not much outdoors apart from harvesting then some late evening watering.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga

Vinny Offline
#1,105
I have been felting my shed roof today and the sun certainly makes roofing felt more pliable. Rolleyes

Gathered the first picking from my yellow french beans from allotment earlier and just enjoyed them wth a couple of fishcakes. I think I prefer the yellow's to the green or purple varieties? Cool

Just gearing up for Rockfit later, so that should be fun in this heat! Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Broadway Offline
#1,106
Weeded 3 spare pallet collars to accommodate 2 perennial kales and a pair of globe artichokes. (Will plant out when it gets a tad cooler!)

I'm gonna initially plant these through weed membrane so this has been cut to size and holes burnt accordingly.

Also decanted some comfrey tea, bottled one lot and doused a couple of the daleks with a pint or two as well.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,107
Made a new, raised Bean bed from a big wooden cube I found on the road & some bamboo canes from the garden. Filled it with haylage, alpaca wool, potato tub contents and topped it up with Hotbin compost.
Hope to plant it with Hunter CFB tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be cooler. I'm determined to pick some beans in 2022. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
#1,108
Have been busy today trying to turn  a sack barrow and a pile of steel and aluminium scrap into a portable coal forge for blacksmithing. Got the basic frame tack welded together and next job will be to fabricate the tuyere and sort an airflow system. Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
#1,109
Planted out lettuces, kale & French beans now the weather is cooler.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,110
Planted about 20 Hunter CFBs.
Cut back some brambles so that I could pick more blackberries. Why are the biggest ones always out of reach?
Not much rain but it was a pleasure to be outside today after the heat of the last few days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB