2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night
JJB Offline
Moonraker
P had almost black hair until he met me, than he went grey in his 40s, I wonder why Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jay, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Fishing day planned for today. Cool My two Sons re already at the waters edge, but I have turned into a lazy git since I retired so am getting heads up's by text from them until I eventually get there. Rolleyes
Still got Katy to walk and make some bait,fill a flask etc! The fishing gear stays permanently in the car so that's all ready to go. Smile

Well, I suppose I better get a move on. Putting some clothes on would be a good start! Rolleyes Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-07-2022, 08:20 AM)Vinny Wrote: Fishing day planned for today. Cool My two Sons re already at the waters edge, but I have turned into a lazy git since I retired so am getting heads up's by text from them until I eventually get there. Rolleyes
Still got Katy to walk and make some bait,fill a flask etc! The fishing gear stays permanently in the car so that's all ready to go. Smile

Well, I suppose I better get a move on. Putting some clothes on would be a good start! Rolleyes Smile

Good start, you'd scare the fish otherwise Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jay, Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Well I looked in the greenhouse yesterday afternoon and several tomatoes were drooping badly. I went in and felt the soil which was damp - but there was tunneling underneath. So rats/voles/other obnoxious critters were finding the damp moist conditions there to their liking. So mulching round the plants may not have been such a good idea if it makes it into a desirable abode. I tried mouse traps last night but they were completely ignored so suspect could be rats.
I do not like rodents at all, particularly mice, rats and squirrels.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I sympathise, Mark.
I've got rats in the garage this year - horrible smelly things. We're trying the blocks of poison in a locked box method to get rid of them. Had them in the GH last year. Its on a solid concrete base. The rats tunnelled under it and chewed a corner of a block away so that they could come up into the corner of the GH. Its been modified with wire netting cemented over this year.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-07-2022, 09:44 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I do not like rodents at all, particularly mice, rats and squirrels.

Totally agree with you there Mark, I might even add in little fluffy bunnies, they were the ones digging holes overnight. The borrowed wildlife camera was useless so P set up a cctv camera overnight and saw two buck rabbits having a lovely time. We found their entry burrow and filled it full of stones so they stay in the field. Luckily no more digging so we didn't trap them inside the garden. Which would have been a bit of a problem Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
`I would have included rabbits. They used to be rodents but have been promoted to a class of their own with hares.
"Although once considered rodents, lagomorphs like rabbits have been discovered to have diverged separately and earlier than their rodent cousins and have a number of traits rodents lack, like two extra incisors."

[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(15-07-2022, 12:38 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: `I would have included rabbits. They used to be rodents but have been promoted to a class of their own with hares.
"Although once considered rodents, lagomorphs like rabbits have been discovered to have diverged separately and earlier than their rodent cousins and have a number of traits rodents lack, like two extra incisors."

Do you know Mark,  I've never really felt the need to research the ancestry of rabbits, just the means to keep them out, but every bit of knowledge helps.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Watering the veg patch tonight, I smelled a really nasty smell. Sometimes we get wafts of slurry, silage or fertiliser from the nearby farms but as they're combining at the moment I didn't think it was them. The smell was stronger by the hedge bordering nextdoor. I asked P to come and have a sniff and he confirmed it was a smell of decomposition. I had a look under the privet our side and didnt see anything then ferretted in the thick privet hedge to look through to nextdoor. Then found it. A dead little muntjac deer. I can't see what killed it and I haven't the courage to go nextdooor to find out. Such a shame and I'm so sad.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
How sad! Which next door is that? The computer or the funeral one? Just checking.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Broadway