Gardening DIY
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(06-01-2022, 01:15 PM)JJB Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 12:47 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 11:52 PM)Small chilli Wrote: You probably know my answer before I say it. I really enjoy DIY.  Currently in the middle of building a gate and rose arch. And a house, I may of mentioned that a couple of times already  Big Grin .
Even just doing an extension I felt that it stole my time....and I wasn't building it! Just getting in all the materials and finding the kitchen knobs or light was so time consuming. Now I've got the room there's still loads to do but all I want to do is make things ( art projects/jewellery or be in the garden)

Are we going to see pictures of your new kitchen, Scarlet, you know how nosy we (I) are (am) Smile
I will put some up in my Kitchen thread. I would like Mike to see what I did with his kitchen advice.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Spec Offline
Use the slabs to make a raised bed and put chips down for a path, easier to put down and keep the weeds down, not as dangerous in frost or snow and requires very little skillSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(06-01-2022, 08:20 PM)Spec Wrote: Use the slabs to make a raised bed and put chips down for a path, easier to put down and keep the weeds down, not as dangerous in frost or snow and requires very little skillSmile
I used to have wood chip paths - it was too much work. Barrowing wood chips up to the "veg plot" was very hard work and time consuming. As my plot is really wet in the winter they only last one season.
I just use weed membrane these days.... but the area in front of my greenhouse really needs a hard standing
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
Scarlet I was referring to gravel, puting it down on top of weed membrane, saves it sinking into the soil, and a decent covering will last for years, as for wood chippings, I am not a lover of those as I consider them a danger, they get to slippery when wet, as for a hard standing area in front of the greenhouse a decent level of course sand raked level place you slabs on top and level off as required, though 5 big dollops of cement, one inside area of each corner and one in the centre makes a better job, then fill sarounding area and paths with gravel
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you Spec....the bedding in sand seems doable.
My veg plot is flat - so anything that I put on th paths will get mingled in with the beds. Just membrane down has really worked well for me - not ideal I know and most people would hate it but when everything is in flower it can't be seen.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie