Willow
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Every year at this time I wish I'd planted some willo for coppicing. I planted a couple of whips in my hedge but I would like a little willow area? For make wreaths etc and encouraging wildlife.

Anyone know which ones to get? Good for wreaths? Would like some colours? 

Anyone grow any?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This any help
https://www.willowsnursery.co.uk/willow-varieties/

We had willows and weavers all overs the Somerset levels. And I worked with quite a few in the tree nursery. I never could remember any of the varieties but they were some beautiful colours.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I bought a dozen 'sticks' basically, unrooted cuttings of various colours off ebay a couple of years ago. They root very easily. One is now 20 foot high,anoher has formed a clump but is  a green stemmed variety and another yellow stemmed variety is growing a lot slower. It was the red and yellow stemmed I wanted to grow rather than using dogwoods. I also have a weeping yellow leaved  sort of corkscrew willow which after four years has reached about eight foot. I planted this because OH like weepng willows and it is as far away from the house as possible so that I don't need to prune it back. I was told to plant it then stand back as they grow fast. Smile  I have big hopes for this in 2022 and would love to see it reach a decent height before I snuff it! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-12-2021, 09:18 AM)Small chilli Wrote: This any help

We had willows and weavers all overs the Somerset levels. And I worked with quite a few in the tree nursery. I never could remember any of the varieties but they were some beautiful colours.
Thanks SC. I've just had a quick look. I will have a good look later and treat myself. Some lovely colours there. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'

I think it was probably here I got mine from. Annoyingly, it was mainly the ones with the boring green or brown bark that prospered and the yellows and reds I was really after didn't take. Sick
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-12-2021, 02:32 PM)Vinny Wrote:

I think it was probably here I got mine from. Annoyingly, it was mainly the ones with the boring green or brown bark that prospered and the yellows and reds I was really after didn't take. Sick
I think that often happens with flowers/shrubs. The ones we really want are the "special" colours and the basic ones thrive. 

I will read up a little more before I order. I'm wondering if I aim to keep cutting them to use the whips. I won't need a huge amount of space? Though again husband is going on about growing for kindling? Not sure how long they would need to grow for that. This has been a project we have discussed so many times - if only if done it 10 years ago!
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So I've ordered the most vigorous grower - Salix Viminalis 'Bowles Hybrid.

It came in packs of 10. I bought 2 packs.

I really wanted some colours but after reading Vinnys post, and reading about all the varieties I thought this one would suit my growing conditions and give me more return?

This variety supposed to be able to grow roughly 10ft per year?! So I've given up on the colour and plumped for strong healthy growth instead. Hoping to have some material for wreaths/ may even have a go at weaving Big Grin Though OH would love some kindling - I personally think we would have left here before we get that can of growth.
Watch this space. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I tried growing a willow den once. Planted the whips in a circle and wove the branches together, aiming to make a "roof". Needless to say, it didn't work! Some of the whips didn't take, while others went bonkers and reached for the sky before I had chance to pull them down into shape. I ended up with a few straggly willows in completely the wrong place.
As for kindling, I use bamboo. Grows really fast. I cut the canes for bean sticks and dry some for kindling
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-12-2021, 12:21 AM)Veggie Wrote: I tried growing a willow den once. Planted the whips in a circle and wove the branches together, aiming to make a "roof". Needless to say, it didn't work! Some of the whips didn't take, while others went bonkers and reached for the sky before I had chance to pull them down into shape. I ended up with a few straggly willows in completely the wrong place.
As for kindling, I use bamboo. Grows really fast. I cut the canes for bean sticks and dry some for kindling
They had willow kits to order for making dens- they had one at the boys primary school. OH would go mad trying to mow around that Big Grin
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You could grow a willow tunnel, willow on both sides of a path. That would be easy to mow. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet