Water Tanks
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've been offered a couple of water tanks - the ones in frames? I just have to get them here!! Anyone got any? A couple of questions...

Weight??? How heavy are these? I need to get transport!

Would I need to clean them out? Not sure what it had in it?? If so, how.

I don't think I would bother to hide it? But I know people dig them into the ground?

How do you access the water? Put a tap on it or just pump out? 

I'm quite excited about these - though waiting back on my question regarding what it stored.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have a 1000 litre IBC set up at the allotment. Mine is on a pile of rocks that I needed to dispose of and is high enough that I can get a watering can under tap. The tap I purchased from ebay as the valve that was fitted let out too much water at once.
I 'Trundled' mine into position myself but two people could easily carry one. Mine is filled from the shed roof gutter and downpipe. I also built an inverted cone on top of it to catch the watr falling on it.
With the amount of rain we had last year and another large storage butt attached to greenhouse I had an ample supply of water. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
If you're talking IBC's I know nothing but P has considered them and almost discounted them because where we would put them would be in daylight and I believe light makes the water go green.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-12-2021, 10:14 AM)JJB Wrote: If you're talking IBC's I know nothing but P has considered them and almost discounted them because where we would put them would be in daylight and I believe light makes the water go green.
You could fence it in  to stop the water going green? I believe a bit of green to water the plants wouldn't hurt anyway?

I am actually considering having 2. Wondering if digging a hole for it would be feasible. I could pump the water out. I would like it to water my dahlias. I would get better blooms if I could water once a week.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-12-2021, 10:06 AM)Vinny Wrote: I have a 1000 litre IBC set up at the allotment. Mine is on a pile of rocks that I needed to dispose of and is high enough that I can get a watering can under tap. The tap I purchased from ebay as the valve that was fitted let out too much water at once.
I 'Trundled' mine into position myself but two people could easily carry one. Mine is filled from the shed roof gutter and downpipe. I also built an inverted cone on top of it to catch the watr falling on it.
With the amount of rain we had last year and another large storage butt attached to greenhouse I had an ample supply of water. Cool
The side of my garden is bordered by the farmers stone barns. About 100ft of roof. The water when it rains is wasted as we did put guttering up but it only runs into 2 water butts. So plenty when it rains and the butts are empty all summer. 

Would 2 be over kill then? 
Has your gone green?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Vinny Offline
(10-12-2021, 12:42 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 10:06 AM)Vinny Wrote: I have a 1000 litre IBC set up at the allotment. Mine is on a pile of rocks that I needed to dispose of and is high enough that I can get a watering can under tap. The tap I purchased from ebay as the valve that was fitted let out too much water at once.
The side of my garden is bordered by the farmers stone barns. About 100ft of roof. The water when it rains is wasted as we did put guttering up but it only runs into 2 water butts. So plenty when it rains and the butts are empty all summer. 

Would 2 be over kill then? 
Has your gone green?
Strangely, now you mention it, mine hasn't gone green even though its in full sun? Huh The water from it is chrystal clear. Cool Mine has been in position for four years and no problems with algae. Smile
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is just what I've been told - never seen it in action............
A friend with an allotment had an IBC to collect water and had a solar powered pump to pump the water into a hose for watering his plot.
I don't know the details and he no longer has his plot but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(10-12-2021, 03:01 PM)Veggie Wrote: This is just what I've been told - never seen it in action............
A friend with an allotment had an IBC to collect water and had a solar powered pump to pump the water into a hose for watering his plot.
I don't know the details and he no longer has his plot but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
I could put a hose on my tap and rely on water pressure but I try to only water stuff until plants are established and then 'Grow em ard'  Smile Some plot holders started watering their stuff, bringing the roots to the surface then forgetting to water. Plants died or gave rubbish crops. Bettwr not to water at all rather than a light drenching now and again methinks. Rolleyes
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Spec Offline
If you bury one and have the other slightly raised above ground level you could connect them in tandem with the upper one feeding into the lower to which you connect a pipe to the outlet, which of course you could take to a stand pipe with a spicket, then as long as you have a water level in the top one higher than the spicket you will get water, no need for pumps, this could all be done without burying a tank but you would need to ensure that any framing is strong enough to hold the weight of the top tank safely
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-12-2021, 03:48 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 03:01 PM)Veggie Wrote: This is just what I've been told - never seen it in action............
I could put a hose on my tap and rely on water pressure but I try to only water stuff until plants are established and then 'Grow em ard'  Smile Some plot holders started watering their stuff, bringing the roots to the surface then forgetting to water. Plants died or gave rubbish crops. Bettwr not to water at all rather than a light drenching now and again methinks. Rolleyes
I don't believe in watering everything either...I'm on a water metre so I rarely use the hose so rely on the water butts to water the greenhouses - I have 2. The water is often run dry in the summer. I honestly think Wiltshire has the least rain fall compared to most places?

But growing my dahlias this year to encourage more flowering I did feed - using tomato feed in watering cans. It took ages and used a fair amount of water.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man