Advent Calendars 2021/2022 & 2023
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Who has an Advent Calendar this year?
Please share what you find behind each door?

In previous years, I've sown random seeds every day (and some of you have joined me.Smile). I'm trying to think of something different to do this year - but failing! Need ideas please
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Best I could come up with was make suggestions every day for eco friendly, plastic free or and homemade gifts for the big ( commercial) day.
But that’s a bit naff and not much fun.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I thought about sowing different old seeds for sprouting each day because I could do that indoors in the warm. Sowing on kitchen roll/ cotton wool/old clothes/jamjars???

That was yesterday while I was out and I'd forgotten by the time I came home. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(02-12-2021, 11:01 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Best I could come up with was make suggestions every day for eco friendly, plastic free or and homemade gifts for the big ( commercial) day.
But that’s a bit naff and not much fun.

Good idea SC and really interesting, but I'm rubbish at homemade gifts, no one wants them Smile  I'd like to see the ideas though. Although I used to sew and dressmake crafting eludes me.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
We could ask the team for a gardening tip a day. Nothing too strenuous or scientific, just common sense tips. Downside is we prob already know them Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Jimny14 Offline

These are ours this year, honest brew, laithwaites and Cadbury for the little one. 

Not home made but still good fun.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Bren, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-12-2021, 12:32 PM)JJB Wrote: We could ask the team for a gardening tip a day. Nothing too strenuous or scientific, just common sense tips. Downside is we prob already know them Smile
What team?      Common sense is not always available here. Big Grin
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just to prove that I'm not the only random seeded advent calendarist.Smile

Stephen Barstow added 6 new photos to the album Stradvent Calendar 21.

The 2021 Stradvent Calendar for Permaculturists!
Sowing one packet of seed for stratification (cold treatment) each day until the festive season! All are random perennials that I was planning to sow in December, definitely not my favourite perennial vegetables. When each seed tray is full it will be put out under the snow (currently -10C)
Click on the pictures for more information.
Day 1: Crambe maritima (sea kale / strandkål): I use recycled milk cartons for sowing seed for stratifying ( I don't bother taking the shell off the seed like some folks do). Resulting plants will mainly be for giving away to members of KVANN (Norwegian Seed Savers). The seed are from a mix of plants in my garden including the cultivar Lily White.
Read more about growing sea kale in my book Around the World in 80 plants; signed copies available from me for Xmas.
See more about sea kale on my website:  https://www.edimentals.com/blog/?s=crambe+maritima
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Any Advent Calendar ideas for 2022? There seem to be lots for sale but very few that I can replicate without spending money. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I like the look of the alcohol ones. Like you say very expensive to buy and difficult to replicate.

Then a sudden light bulb moment.
How about you go visit a different friend every day of December and have a little glass of something with them.  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie