So called professionals
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ll apologise now. This may turn into a rant. It really annoys me    Angry .

This morning I’ve been reading Decembers issues of GW. 
In 2 separate articles they are advising to bin out of date seed. It’s infuriating! It’s wasteful and unnecessary. Especially when they are spouting on about reducing the use of peat, plastics & pesticides earlier in the mag. It’s a little hypocritical I think.

Just, why !!? 

Granted some seeds will have a lower germination rate when out of date. But they’re not suddenly infertile because they’re 3 months out of date. People should stop being encouraged to bin perfectly good seed by so called professionals. 
Probably because those professionals are being paid handsomely by big seed companies. ( my cynical view, not fact based in any way) .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 10 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Garrett, Jay, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
I usually do a germination test before chucking out seed, just put some seed on moist kitchen roll inside a takeaway container and pop the lid on. It's only packets with really, really bad germination that get thrown into the garden somewhere. A lot of seeds last much longer than they say on the packet, it's mostly things like onions and parsnips which have a big drop off in germination rate. If the germination is poor, just sow more? Recently through all of the brassica seed packets and anything rubbish I sowed as microgreens from which we got a lovely harvest.
[-] The following 7 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I notice that T&M seeds are obvious in the 2nd photo!! Some of their packets aren't even dated!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
T&M have the worst germination rates out of any seed company I've bought from. Charlatans.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Online
Moonraker
I actually threw out some 2013 seeds yesterday, can't even remember what sort but might retrieve them to do a germination test just to see.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
Its only parsnip seeds that I don't sow if they're way out of date anything else I give them a go.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(25-11-2021, 05:46 PM)Bren Wrote: Its only  parsnip seeds that I don't sow if they're way out of date anything else I give them a go.
I think there's a bit of a falacy about old parsnip seeds! Tongue When my Grandad died he had seeds lying in drawers from WW11 when we were cleaning his house out. I was only young at the time but remember my Dad spreading parsnip seeds across his back garden Rolleyes

. We seemed to live on parsnips that year as I think they all germinated! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 8 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
(25-11-2021, 12:10 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: A lot of seeds last much longer than they say on the packet, it's mostly things like onions and parsnips which have a big drop off in germination rate.

I don't disagree with what you are saying tmtt, but I think I came across a reference to someone growing record breaking onions from a packet of seeds that had been in his jacket pocket for 7 years, similarly with what Vinny says about the old parsnip seeds, though as a general rule the germination rate might drop, you can still get a good crop from old seeds
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Yep, they still germinate but the percentage rate drops off quite a bit faster than other things like brassicas. It's a myth that parsnip seed is only good for 1 year, I've had good results from out of date packets. Spring onions I have noticed get a bit patchy after a few years. Carrot seed I got from Real Seeds years ago still germinated well after 4 years. How old the seed is before it's packaged is very important: a company like Real Seeds sell very fresh seed whereas we have no idea when the seed from T&M was harvested, only the year it was put into the packet.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've noticed that Real Seeds' carrot seed packets say that "since carrot seeds only last for a year you may as well sow the lot now" - or something to that effect. I agree with you TMTT, they're still viable for a lot longer.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny