Alternative Seed swaps!
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve just been on fb for a look. Wow it’s a big swap. I don’t really understand how it works with the requests.
It might be worth asking if he could post a copy of last year’s spreadsheet. To give a better idea of what is on offer and how it works.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I still prefer our swap. You get what you’re given  ( and you will like it  Big Grin  ) rather than choosing. That definitely encourages you to try growing different things when you’ve got the seeds in your hand  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Spec, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I still think, and espexially if its a BIG seedswap and he is getting six squid off everyone he's got a canny little number gannin there! Rolleyes

Most scams are based on people only being asked for small amounts. I know from bitter experience! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Spec, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I honestly don't think its a scam and I also know that postage isn't cheap these days. A small package like SC sent with her seeds is £3.20. If he has to provide packaging too it soon adds up.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Spec, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(23-11-2021, 04:49 PM)Veggie Wrote: I honestly don't think its a scam and I also know that postage isn't cheap these days. A small package like SC sent with her seeds is £3.20. If he has to provide packaging too it soon adds up.
Are you gunna give it a go then Veggie? Huh If so methinks you're gunna need a bigger garden! Smile Let us know how you get on if you do!

Btw, as £3.20 is the minimum cost to send reasonable sized books by Royal Mail I had the bright idea of sorting my books for sale out, slowly digging my way into the spare bedroom. If they were selling for less than £3.20 I put a heap in a box beside the woodburner and thought why not heat the house for free! Cool

Bad idea, as even though they burn well, they choke up everything by the end of the night. Tonight it will be a log then a book (sorry to be a philistine) then if that doesn't work I suppose I will have to box them up and trail to the charity shop with them! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
First question - No, I'm not giving it a go!! With the G&G swap, Cottage Garden Swap and the RHS seeds................and a few I "may" buy, I'm sorted!!
I'd just like to understand how it works in case there's a better way for us.

I've tried book burning too - thinking that if you can make newspaper logs, books are readymade "logs". Not sure why I stopped!!
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-11-2021, 11:35 AM)Veggie Wrote: First question - No, I'm not giving it a go!! With  the G&G swap, Cottage Garden Swap and the RHS seeds................and a few I "may" buy, I'm sorted!!
I'd just like to understand how it works in case there's a better way for us.

I've tried book burning too - thinking that if you can make newspaper logs, books are readymade "logs". Not sure why I stopped!!
How do the cottage garden & RHS swaps work? Same as G&G?

just interested. I’ve only ever done ours ( and the other place, which was the same  Smile )
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
They send out a list and you choose from the list. With CGS you list your choices in order and if they run out, they send the next on your list.
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve been for a look at CGS . How do you choose! There’s so many   Cool . I’d spend a fortnight just googling all the Latin names  Blush . I recognised some of the names but not many    Blush .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Another FB Seed swap - and I've joined this one!

If you're on FB, search for "Incredible Seed Library". Its free to join and swap. Send a SAE with requests, and, if possible 2 lots of saved seeds or non-F1 seeds if you haven't any saved. Choose up to 10 packets of seed from the seed list. which is in "Featured" section.
The owner of the site suggested I share it with G&G. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli