DIY Herb Teas
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm making a list of the different herb combinations/recipes that I come across to get an idea of the plants that I have that can be used or that I need to grow. If you have any recommended combinations, please add them to this thread. 

First up, from the Twinings Cold infuse teas I've been given:-

Raspberry & Hibiscus + Rosehips, apple pieces, beetroot, Roasted chicory Root.
Mandarin & Rosemary + Stevia leaves (Like this one a lot).
Watermelon, Strawberry & Mint + Hibiscus, Beetroot, Rosehips, orange peel.
Pomegranate and Elderflower + Lemon Balm, Beetroot
Lemon, Lime & Green Mate + White Hibiscus, Stevia Leaves
Watermelon, Apple & Matcha + Green Tea, White Hibiscus, Stevia Leaves.

I "think" that the beetroot may be the colouring in the red teas so I'm not going to lob a slice of beetroot into my cup!
I'm going to start saving orange and lemon peel, drying rosemary & lemon balm, gathering elderflowers and rosehips in season and trying to grow Stevia and Hibiscus...............for a start. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(21-11-2021, 08:02 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm making a list of the different herb combinations/recipes that I come across to get an idea of the plants that I have that can be used or that I need to grow. If you have any recommended combinations, please add them to this thread. 

First up, from the Twinings Cold infuse teas I've been given:-

Raspberry & Hibiscus + Rosehips, apple pieces, beetroot, Roasted chicory Root.
Mandarin & Rosemary + Stevia leaves (Like this one a lot).
Watermelon, Strawberry & Mint + Hibiscus, Beetroot, Rosehips, orange peel.
Pomegranate and Elderflower + Lemon Balm, Beetroot
Lemon, Lime & Green Mate + White Hibiscus, Stevia Leaves
Watermelon, Apple & Matcha + Green Tea, White Hibiscus, Stevia Leaves.

I "think" that the beetroot may be the colouring in the red teas so I'm not going to lob a slice of beetroot into my cup!
I'm going to start saving orange and lemon peel, drying rosemary & lemon balm, gathering elderflowers and rosehips in season and trying to grow Stevia and Hibiscus...............for a start. Smile
Stevia is quite easy to grow on the windowsill or in the greenhouse. I grew it this year but didn't know how and couldn't be bothered to find out how to process it.
Its dried its leaves naturally because I forgot to water it near its end. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Jekka McVicar's herbal infusions:-

Citrus Trilogy: A refreshing blend of lemon, lime and orange blossom - Lemongrass, Lime Leaves, Coriander Seeds, Orange Flowers.
Good Night: A combination of herbs that provides the perfect end to the day - Chamomile, Linden Flowers, Lemon Balm Leaf, Ginger Root, Lavender, Blue Cornflowers.
Mint Fiesta: an aromatic blend of mint and fennel - Peppermint, Spearmint, Fennel Seeds, Liquorice, Hyssop
Eastern Promise: Jekka’s Chai, caffeine free, herb and spice infusion - Tulsi, Ginger Root, Cinnamon, Turmeric Root, Cardamom Seeds.
Bright & Breezy: An exhilarating aromatic blend of green tea, mint and marigold petals
Summer Garden: A light floral blend of lemon verbena and elderflower - Lemon verbena Leaf, Rose Petals, Elderflower.

This collection may be a bit easier to copy, although I don't think I'll be growing Lime leaves, orange flowers, Linden flowers, Liquorice, Cinnamon, Turmeric Root, Cardamon, or green tea. My lemon verbena has died but I do have seeds of Tulsi and a huge lemongrass plant.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Are you growing camomile ?

I don’t do tea. So my knowledge on the subject is less than limited.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
^^^ I'm a huge tea drinker but not the wishy-washy herbal stuff. I tried peppermint once - never again - but applaud Veggie's hunt for alternatives.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Vinny - I've grown Stevia years ago but found it too sweet. At the moment I have a plant of Aztec Sweet Herb which has the same overwhelming sweetness that Stevia has.
I'll try that first before attempting to like Stevia again!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-11-2021, 09:54 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Are you growing camomile ?

I don’t do tea. So my knowledge on the subject is less than limited.
No although I probably have some old seeds somewhere.Wink
Better have a look!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(21-11-2021, 10:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: Vinny - I've grown Stevia years ago but found it too sweet. At the moment I have a plant of Aztec Sweet Herb which has the same overwhelming sweetness that Stevia has.
I'll try that first before attempting to like Stevia again!
Not only is it too sweet it leaves a horrible aftertaste in your mouth! Cry I'ts one of the only sweeteners that doesn't effect insulin resistance though methinks along with jackfruit which is another abomination! Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Adding a link to the Chai Guild of plants https://balkanecologyproject.blogspot.co...-SywT-UjMM
I rather like the thought of a Tea Garden - all the plants growing together. Wandering out early morning with my teapot and picking enough for a cuppa - wearing a floaty floral frock and frothy, floppy hat............................Nah, its never going to happen like that. Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, SarrissUK, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
The only herb I grow specifically for tea, and its red spidery flowers of course, Cool is bergamot. I just add a few leaves to a cup of ordinary tea to give that Earl grey aroma. Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, SarrissUK, Veggie