Asparagus
Admin Offline
The Boss
I am toying with the idea of starting an asparagus bed 3.6 × 2.0 mtrs.  I know it takes a couple of years to become established but I have the space.

My questions are

Is it worth it? ... long wait for a short harvest period

What variety is best?  So many to choose from 

Problems with pests?

Any thoughts?
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

SarrissUK Offline
I have tried it from bought crowns a couple of times and they took off, but then died. I have one plant that survived on my old allotment - I dug it up to take it with me, and we'll have to wait and see if it will take. They are finicky. I like some asparagus, but not others, but I have no idea what type they are as I've only reliably eaten supermarket asparagus.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I bought a collection of 3 varieties some years ago. ?Marshalls with a free asparagus knife! Never used it. Hasn't worked for me but maybe I didn't try hard enough. Not buying any more.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’d say it’d be worth the space and time. I can’t really help with varieties. The ones I have were unnamed from wilko. They’ve done very well and Taste very good. I’m also growing connovers collossal . But not old enough to try yet. But they’re growing into good strong plants and I think they’re going to produce a lot more when harvesting time does come. Slugs are the only problem I’ve had.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've failed miserably with about 9 cheepo Gijnlim. Only one plant survives and I've never had a spear to taste, I'm hoping for one to cut next season. I've given up as space is needed for other things.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
I have decided that I shall have an asparagus bed. I will use the time between now and April to prepare the bed.

I am going to dig down 450mm and sift the soil incorporating manure and well rotted leaf mould. I have yet to decide upon the variety but have plenty of time to decide.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I found a note of the varieties I bought.............but I've mislaid it again. I remember Guelph, Millenium and ?. They were from Marshalls.
Absolutely no help to you!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Broadway Offline
Jumping on this thread has / does anyone grow them in big tubs with success?
Regards..........Danny Smile