Dahlias?
Roitelet Offline
How do you store yours? I an just about o dig up the Dahlia tubers for winter storage and wondered what is the best way to store them. Dry in boxes or slightly damp in soil?  Huh

All suggestions gratefully received.

Admin Offline
The Boss
I have never bothered, I just cut them back to six inches and mulch.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Roitelet, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
I only have one so far but it's got through a couple of winters here under leaf mould mulch. We do get mild winters though. What are your winters like?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Roitelet

Roitelet Offline
We can get very cold sometimes. I left them in the ground last winter and they were fine. The only thing was that they produced a lot of spindly growth this year. I need to move them anyway so thought that I would dig them up and start again. I am hoping that if I can over winter them in the spring I can split them and take cuttings there by increasing the stock and avoiding the spindly growth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roitelet's post:
  • Veggie

Spec Offline
When you lift the tubers cut the stems down to 4 to 6 inches, wash off any soil then push a knitting needle down the stem then turn them upsidedown doing this helps let any water drain out from the tubers, once dry store them in dry soil or compost, they must be kept frost free, if in future if leaving them in the ground over winter you can take cuttings from the new shoots just as normal
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Roitelet

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
^^^ Now I know why I leave mine in the ground and hope for the best!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Roitelet, Spec

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I have an outbuilding that stays reasonably cool and frost free. I store onions hung up in it. For the dahlias, I put a big piece of cardboard on the floor and pack them together on it. Some have quite a bit of soil round the tubers. I probably check them once a month. If any small ones are looking too dry, I pot them up in old compost. In the spring, I put them in a greenhouse in some bread crates I've acquired and cover with a mix of soil and old compost. When they sprout, I sometimes take cuttings or just plant them out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Roitelet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
A dahlia query

I've got some bedding dahlias in small 2" pots that are gasping to be planted out. The poor things are a little leggy and trying to flower, usually with one single tall bud. Do I nip this bud out or leave it to flower?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Garrett Offline
I'd pinch out any leggy ones to encourage side shoots.

You can also plant dahlias deeper and bury the stem, like a tomato.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Garrett's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
My thoughts too, nice to have a kindred spirit. Thanks Garrett.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Garrett