A dedicated seed bed.
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
An idea I saw somewhere!
Setting aside a bed just for growing plants you want to save seed from. For example - a tripod for a couple of beans, a few peas...........that, once planted would not be picked but left to seed. Some squash that would be hand pollinated and bagged - or some flowers. Anything in fact from which you want to save seeds.
Its tempting, when you have a row of plants, to pick them all and forget you want to save some. When you remember, they may be the end of season leftovers that may not be the best ones to grow from next year.
Waddya reckon?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
A bed of mixed veg & flowers just for seed saving is a great idea. Especially for some of the that don’t set seeds until there second year like carrots, brassicas beetroot. If it’s slightly away from everything else it’ll be good for reducing cross pollination. Brilliant idea. I like it.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Great idea as I'm another one who never remembers to save seeds - only remembered beans this year Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sounds like a plan, with regard to beans and peas I had thought the same thing, bung them out of the way and forget them.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I think that's a great idea and I will try to work that into my plan for the garden for next year Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Just bumping this as a reminder for me - and anyone else who said they would. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I just made a very small seed bed yesterday (60cm X 80cm roughly) , Sowed a short row of PSB, cauli and calabrse into it! Smile

I find seed beds are more tolerant of water shortage which happens when I grow in pots and forget to water them! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Unintentionally, last year I grew Scarlet's mystery beans in a place of their own purely for harvesting dried beans, does that count? I have run out of room to have a dedicated seed collection patch, might do the beans like that again though. Missed out on the opportunity for broad beans though, I'll just have to remember not to eat them all. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(18-05-2022, 08:47 AM)Vinny Wrote: I just made a very small seed bed yesterday (60cm X 80cm roughly) , Sowed a short row of PSB, cauli and calabrse into it! Smile

I find seed beds are more tolerant of water shortage which happens when I grow in pots and forget to water them! Rolleyes
Correct me if I'm mistaken (and I know you will in the politest of words) but yours is a Seedling bed for transplanting later. I'm talking about a bed where plants are left to go to seed in order to save the seeds for another year.

Broadway Offline
Missed this a yes a VG idea
Regards..........Danny Smile