Coldframes
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ok....so what are these really for?

Are they areas to keep pots protected during winter? Is a greenhouse any different?
Are they a solid base , gravel, or earth so you can grow straight into them.

I'm growing ranunculas ( I know I may have told you already Big Grin) I don't want them taking up space in my greenhouse, they get damaged by the weather.

Is a coldframe my option? What kind of thing would you make?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, JJB

Roitelet Offline
As you say they are to give protection for over wintering plants or early showings of things like salads. I have two which are directly on the ground. I built them before I had a Poly tunnel. Mine are 1 meter x two meters and built of wood with double skinned plastic tops. They are also very useful for hardening off plants before planting out, saves all that okey cokey with plants in and out of the green house. In winter when I have plants in pots to protect I cover the soil with land scape membrane. Hope that helps.
[-] The following 3 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So is yours gravel based Roitelet? Have you covered the soil?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a cold frame on top of an old plastic garden table. I use it to harden off seedlings. Being off ground keeps the slugs away.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:

Roitelet Offline
(03-11-2021, 12:07 AM)Scarlet Wrote: So is yours gravel based Roitelet? Have you covered the soil?
No mine is directly on the soil, only covered with landscape membrane when I put things in pots in it to over winter. In the spring I remove the membrane so I can use the soil for planting other things. If you make one you will find lots of different ways to use it.
[-] The following 4 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
My small aluminium/glass coldframe say 3ft x 2ft (very approx as I've never measured it) is standing on concrete slabs at ground level. It's an overflow for more hardy things from the gh in spring and I put a few cuttings in there in the winter which I promptly forget about and wonder why they don't survive. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I'm thinking of making one out of a couple of pallet collars (need more of them!) where I can cut out the second layer's front part, so it lets more light in, and build a lightweight lid for it. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-11-2021, 07:18 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: I'm thinking of making one out of a couple of pallet collars (need more of them!) where I can cut out the second layer's front part, so it lets more  light in, and build a lightweight lid for it. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Smile
I've a long sheet of polycarbonate roofing that I've kept from my old porch...a couple of house bricks on top and I'm done Smile 

Then when the weathers warmer I can just take the lid off completely.
  • Can the Man

Roitelet Offline
If you are going to use polycarbonate sheeting make sure you can tie it down well. The wind sucks as well as blows and I have had mine blown/sucked off several times and they have wooden frames. I now use stretchy Bungie cords with eyelets in the wood and that keeps them on. Being stretchy you can always prop up one edge of the lid with wood or such like for ventilation.
[-] The following 4 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, SarrissUK, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you Roitelet! Perfect.
  • Can the Man