Rant Alert !
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
This seems appropriate with the climate conference kicking off. 
As well as gardening, we look after 2 gîtes - clean, change and do the laundry between guests - and the owners of one have told us not only to leave both the empty fridge freezers running, but to leave the heating set to 20 degrees,  day and night. They have nobody booked before summer next year. 
Although we need the income,  I personally would rather not work for them. Am I being too sensitive?!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Jay Offline
Don’t get the fridge freezer bit PP but kind of understand the heating during winter as left without heating buildings do start to deteriorate very quickly, although I’d say 20 degrees was a bit warm.
West of Scotland
[-] The following 7 users Like Jay's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have worked for people like that. Do the owners live near by? If not I’d turn the heating down to frost free setting & turn fridge freezer off. Leaving door propped open. What they don’t know won’t hurt them. Turn it all up again a couple of days before their next visit.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(29-10-2021, 08:52 PM)Jay Wrote: Don’t get the fridge freezer bit PP but kind of understand the heating during winter as left without heating buildings do start to deteriorate very quickly, although I’d say 20 degrees was a bit warm.

Our other place is a 200 year old farmhouse and converted barn half set into the mountain side; all the power is turned off when empty and it is fine. A low or even frost setting should be all that's needed, not 20 degrees, 24 hours a day Sad That's warmer than our house! The advantage of summers in the high thirties is everything dries out. And I mean everything  Big Grin
Plus the place gets a monthly airing right through the winter, and it's a modern building.

[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Could you have a blown fuse that stops them running - that you won't notice until next time you have to clean it?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(29-10-2021, 09:01 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I have worked for people like that. Do the owners live near by? If not I’d turn the heating down to frost free setting & turn fridge freezer off. Leaving door propped open. What they don’t know won’t hurt them. Turn it all up again a couple of days before their next visit.

They don't let us know when they're turning up or I would  Big Grin

[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
They have more money and sense and no social responsibility, such a waste.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Jay Offline
We have a little countryside cottage and in the good old Scottish winters if heating is not left on (frost setting on electric radiators) it’s amazing how quickly the damp takes over. It’s an old stone building. As I said I understand leaving a bit of heating on but 20 degrees is a bit much.
West of Scotland
[-] The following 6 users Like Jay's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Turn down you're own heating and move into the one with the heating onSmile
[-] The following 6 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
It's a thought, Spec  Big Grin althouh we haven't actually lit the fire yet this year! Cool

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec