Cunning plan....NOT!
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
My cunning plan was to fit a fan close to my woodburner to hopefully send some heat to a room behind (dining room to living room)

It may have backfired as the woodburner room is toasty but the living room with fan running for  two hours has only raised its temperature by 1/2 a degree! Sick The cost of running the fan for two hours would probably negate any advantage achieved as I was trying to do without lighting the gas fire in that room. Angry

Ah well, there is another half day wasted punching hole through wall and fitting fan. There is dust all over and I will have to spend tomorrow cleaning the mess up. These things are sent to try us! Rolleyes Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Friends put a duct in the ceiling above the woodburner so that the hot air went up into the bedroom. Don't think they had a fan in it, just the hot air rising effect.
Might transit sound between the rooms too!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Bren Offline
At least you gave it a go Vinny.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
It has raised the temperature 1 degree now but I've knocked it of until I find some way of working out how much that 1 degree lift cost me in electrical power. Cry
The other alternative is to belt a big hole out of the wall or open up a doorway sized hole through. I did warn neighbours that I would be making a bit of a racket this morning and I have a lintel lying round that would do the trick but haven't decided whether I can be arsed or not?  Huh
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
If you don't want a doorway, what about a serving hatch that you could close with a little door, or a window that might let light through between the 2 rooms?
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Bren Offline
A doorway would work the heat should pass through to the living room stabilising both rooms and if it didn't you could just keep the door closed.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(24-10-2021, 10:10 PM)Veggie Wrote: If you don't want a doorway, what about a serving hatch that you could close with a little door, or a window that might let light through between the 2 rooms?
A lot of older (50's/60's/70s?) houses had serving hatches and the first thing a new buyer did was block them up! Smile I'm not really worried about the re-sale value as that will be down to my offspring when I snuff it!

The problem, or not as I see it, will be that by adding a doorway or even a cut out in the wall, will be that I can look from the front room to the back room and also out of the French doors which are opposite the woodburner. I still haven't finished tiling the bathroom or sorting the bedrooms yet so the house is going to be full of half completed projects! Rolleyes

Another problem is that there is a double electrical socket in the very area I would like to demolish!
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I loved the hatch in our old house - so useful for passing stuff through without leaving the room - not just food.

Stop reading now if you want to stay on topic...................
When I was working, we'd sometimes go out for the evening as a group, maybe a meal but usually a pub crawl. One colleague, I'll call him Dave because that was his name, needed to go to the Gents and, somehow, instead of coming back to the bar, he ended up in the pub kitchen. Whilst we all wondered what was taking him so long to come back, his head emerged from the serving hatch as he tried to crawl out of the kitchen and back to the bar!
We were all laughing and encouraging him to get a wriggle on, the kitchen staff were shouting and swearing at his back end, and the bar staff just stood there wondering how they were going to reach the meals.. Eventually, they pulled him out and we were evicted from the pub.
"Serving hatch" will always remind of Dave stuck in the opening!
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You're right Vinny, our 60s house has a serving hatch. Never used for serving but it's useful for watching the telly from the kitchen but the TV volume has to be wound up a bit to enable me to hear it too.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
I was in someone's house once that had a log burner and they left the doors open to let the heat spread through the house and this did work
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man