Sowing calendars
JJB Online
Moonraker
I've come to the conclusion, after at least 40 years,  that I need to begin to be a little more organised.  In the spring I get all excited and sow anything and everything, fill up the patch at planting out and even if I wanted to successional sow, I haven't got the space.  So I thought a sowing calendar might be a reminder to be less enthusiastic in spring, leaving room for later sowing.  I run a desultory spreadsheet but the novelty wanes as the season progresses, I forget to look at my written garden book, so I thought I could run a second 'garden' calendar on my tablet completely separate from the existing humdrum daily household one, but I've yet to figure out how to have two distinct calendars.  The one I have syncs all together into one  display.  Next thought was an app with a reminder feature.  I'm still investigating than but I was after something simple.

I've heard PP talk about her sowing reminder, so my question is:  Does anyone have any bright ideas? What do you do to remind you about sowing at times other than spring?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Hahahahahahaha Big Grin

No good asking me!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Online
Moonraker
No I thought not, not subscribing to 12 books, I can't manage to keep one up to date. Smile if I KISS it might just putting the few sowing entries I want into the tablet general calendar and stop trying to be all arty farty. There's no way I'll stick to, or want, a weekly sowing regime, I have to accept my limitations, one of which is no staying power Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
If I let you into a secret, do you promise not to tell?

There's nothing in my September book!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Online
Moonraker
Too late, I've told everyone. Good to see I'm not alone.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I have a million "What to do in your garden when........." books but they cover so many different veg/fruit/flowers stuff lots of which I have no intention of growing.
I know you all mock, but I found the best way for me was the "Roots, Shoots, Fruits, Leaves" 4 week plan. My computer diary is set to remind me every day which week it is (its Shoots today).
This week all I've had to think about are Shoots (which to me are onions, leeks, celery). Tomorrow, it'll be Fruits (peas, beans tomatoes etc) so I'll think about whether I can sow any of those in September - and whether I can resow the things I sowed in August.
Its simple, which suits me.
I also have 12 cards, one for each month, that list the seeds that can be sown that month in each category. All I need to do is find the seeds and get on with it............that's where I fall down. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(19-09-2021, 12:06 PM)JJB Wrote: I've come to the conclusion, after at least 40 years,  that I need to begin to be a little more organised.  In the spring I get all excited and sow anything and everything, fill up the patch at planting out and even if I wanted to successional sow, I haven't got the space.  So I thought a sowing calendar might be a reminder to be less enthusiastic in spring, leaving room for later sowing.  I run a desultory spreadsheet but the novelty wanes as the season progresses, I forget to look at my written garden book, so I thought I could run a second 'garden' calendar on my tablet completely separate from the existing humdrum daily household one, but I've yet to figure out how to have two distinct calendars.  The one I have syncs all together into one  display.  Next thought was an app with a reminder feature.  I'm still investigating than but I was after something simple.

I've heard PP talk about her sowing reminder, so my question is:  Does anyone have any bright ideas? What do you do to remind you about sowing at times other than spring?
Use the power of the 'Force' JJB, just like me. Rolleyes In other words just blag it! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
^^^ I've been blagging it for years and with the likely complication I seem to be introducing, I'll be blagging it for a few more Smile I thought to sow some carrots in MFBs to go into the gh, but for the life of me I couldn't find any record of when I did this last year. I've sown some carrots today and some chard , must remember to record it somewhere in case it's a success.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I guess a lot of it depends on the importance of getting sowing and cropping right, in other words, is your home grown produce what feeds you or a really nice addition to what you buy? When I started out we had to live off the land so I couldn't leave it to chance.
I still use my spreadsheet and improve or develop it year by year, but there is far more blagging it, especially later in the season. In spring it is the bible!!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a very similar method to Vinny. It’s called winging it  Big Grin  Wink .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie