Cut Flower Business
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
VC if I have a table at the local farmers market I need insurance - £60 for the year.....things are creeping up...but I need a name for that, I also need a traders name for the table etc.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(15-09-2021, 07:25 PM)Jim Veggie Wrote: That looks lovely, FEW!
Do you have a "name" for your stall as that seems to be taxing Scarlet the most!
As said previously - customers just call us “the flower ladies’ stall” even though we stick labels on saying “Plants and Cut Flowers from The Far End”!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
We pay £60 for the year - that covers us for three people - so we include my husband who is the “driver/carrier” and more likely to injure people than me and my friend who just man the stall selling the flowers!
This insurance also covers us for any other sales/venues we might go to eg Summer Fetes or Christmas Fayres. Well worth it for peace of mind in case my husband drops flowers on the customer as he’s delivering!!
Also, my friend does as you do Scarlet and sells flowers at her garden gate - so is covered for this too. As I am at “the far end” I  don’t get any trade at the gate because nobody passes by!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-09-2021, 08:49 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: We pay £60 for the year - that covers us for three people - so we include my husband who is the “driver/carrier” and more likely to injure people than me and my friend who just man the stall selling the flowers!
This insurance also covers us for any other sales/venues we might go to eg Summer Fetes or Christmas Fayres. Well worth it for peace of mind in case my husband drops flowers on the customer as he’s delivering!!
Also, my friend does as you do Scarlet and sells flowers at her garden gate - so is covered for this too. As I am at “the far end” I  don’t get any trade at the gate because nobody passes by!
I haven't paid for it yet, I think I will do it but maybe wait until Spring and hit the road running. If I want to add the extras that I make enamels etc I need to include that in my insurance - so maybe need a little think through before jumping straight in. Do you sell anything at Christmas? 

I need a gardening plan Big Grin will do my hardy annuals today - should have done them last week!
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
(16-09-2021, 08:11 AM)Scarlet Wrote:
(15-09-2021, 08:49 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: We pay £60 for the year - that covers us for three people - so we include my husband who is the “driver/carrier” and more likely to injure people than me and my friend who just man the stall selling the flowers!
I haven't paid for it yet, I think I will do it but maybe wait until Spring and hit the road running. If I want to add the extras that I make enamels etc I need to include that in my insurance - so maybe need a little think through before jumping straight in. Do you sell anything at Christmas? 

I need a gardening plan Big Grin will do my hardy annuals today - should have done them last week!
Autumn and Christmas leaves us scrabbling around trying to find something. My friend takes a few pots of bulbs (crocus, hyacinths, narcissi). I take a few pots of violas or pansies. They don’t sell, but they make the stall look bright and colourful!
we look on it as our day out and reckon that our takings when the flowers are in full swing compensate us for not even covering the cost of the stall in lean times.
It also depends on whether you are expected to pay anything for your stall when you’re not there. Our big worry is that if we stay away, then someone else will nab our spot and we won’t be able to get it back when we have more stuff to sell. Also our regular customers expect us to be there - even if they don’t want to buy every week.
My friend produces lovely Christmas wreaths too, but they take her ages and need a great deal of foliage. I’m sure that the price she charges nowhere near covers her time - but again, she enjoys doing them, and we look on it as our “social life”.
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline

This is our stall yesterday....
Padding it out with plants now that flowers are dwindling.
[-] The following 6 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Jay, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you Few! It's given me lots to think about. I would love to do it with a Friend as it is something I love to do....but I have no one here that would be interested. I can get a "casual" stall but I thought the same - they need to see you every week.
I love making wreaths etc but I know people won't pay anywhere near the amount that would make it worth while.
I've lots of flowers here still at the moment...but had flowers stolen yesterdaySad b/stewards! But still managed to get £60. I know it's only pennies for some but that more than pays for the 24 bags of compost I just bought in from Asda Big Grin they were selling it off at £2 a bag yesterday!! Instead of 3 for £10.
  • Norfolk Grey, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
£60!! That's a fortune! How come the b's left your money alone?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(18-09-2021, 11:02 AM)JJB Wrote: £60!! That's a fortune! How come the b's left your money alone?
I have a postbox at the gate. They put it in there.
  • JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I was run ragged when the mums came home with the school kids - I had to make up 3 bunches while someone waited. Will be more organised next week
  • JJB, Veggie