How to divide a bed 13' x 10'?
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
[quote pid='29273' dateline='1631449989']
Vinny
[quote pid='29250' dateline='1631402419']
With a largish area like that it wouldn't require a massive effort to put a chicken mesh fence around it to keep dogs off. Doesn't need to be anything elaborate just a few canes threaded through the mesh and bunged into the soil.
[/quote]

Watch what you are doing with cardboard paths though as they can get quite slippy. Cry Tread lightly and you should be OK though. I was going to mention a keyhole garden but think they are quite a bit of work to set up. A raised one would keep the mutts off! Smile
[/quote]

I've tried the chicken wire fences before but, if the dogs can't jump over summat, they put their noses under and burrow beneath! I've had to resort of baby/dog pen fencing that I scrounge on Freecycle. 
I've also done the Bambi on Ice impersonation on slippy cardboard. Luckily, nobody was watching. Big Grin Thanks for reminding me - I'll put grass cuttings/leaves/twigs on top.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Re your rising sun plan, do you mean something like this?

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
    More like this with the sun in a corner.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(12-09-2021, 06:21 PM)Veggie Wrote: More like this with the sun in a corner.
If the white bits are the paths its going to be like hopscotch trying to get back after travelling to the centre of the Sun! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its alright, I've gone off the idea anyway.Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
It was very pretty though.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've dug into my memory bank and remembered Gertrud Franck's book on Companion Planting. She grew rows of spinach between her crop rows. Once the spinach had grown, it was cut down and left as a mulch to walk on. Grass cuttings and soft leaves were added to the spinach paths. The following year, she would move her rows over a bit so that she planted crops in the spinach row (which had composted and improved the soil) and she would grow spinach where the crops had grown.
This means that half of the plot is mulched with spinach every year and the mulch stops weeds germinating between the crop rows.
Who knows, I may be growing in rows next year!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mark_Riga

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(14-09-2021, 09:25 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've dug into my memory bank and remembered Gertrud Franck's book on Companion Planting. She grew rows of spinach between her crop rows. Once the spinach had grown, it was cut down and left as a mulch to walk on. Grass cuttings and soft leaves were added to the spinach paths. The following year, she would move her rows over a bit so that she planted crops in the spinach row (which had composted and improved the soil) and she would grow spinach where the crops had grown.
This means that half of the plot is mulched with spinach every year and the mulch stops weeds germinating between the crop rows.
Who knows, I may be growing in rows next year!!
You mentioned 'Rows' six times in that paragraph! Tongue Did you have to look up what a 'row' was! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Ah but rows don't have to be straight, do they? Veggie's rows are bound to be wiggly Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Vinny, I'm practising saying it as its not a word I relate to whether it with oars, with disagreements or with plants etc. How can a simple 3 letter word have so many meanings.? No wonder I don't understand it!!

Jen, I've been wondering how I'm going to make them straight - may start looking for 10' bamboo canes to lay down as a guide.

NB I haven't used the R word once in this post.Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB