Jalapeño peppers
Roitelet Offline
Grew thèse for thé first time time this year. There are lots of green peppers but no sign of anything turning red. How long do they take to ripen? The other thing is that I have tried them green and there is absolutely no spiceness to them, they are just like ordinary green peppers. Is this usual?

All help most welcome.
[-] The following 2 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Broadway Offline
I'm sure the resident guru will help later
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Roitelet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have one going red on my single plant but haven't tasted any of them yet, red nor green. I'll let you know how the green ones taste if I remember later.
The pot was MFB put outside in June in disgust when everything got greenfly so I'm surprised anything is turning red. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Roitelet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've just picked a green one, you're absolutely right, Roitelet, it had no more spiciness than a green pepper, even the seeds. I'll see whether the red one is truly red and give that a try when it's daylight.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Roitelet

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Jalapeño can take a while to turn red. As you already know you usually eat them green. As for the lack of spice. That will be down to variety. Green or red will make very little difference to the heat.
So what variety of jalapeño you growing?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Roitelet, Veggie

Roitelet Offline
Thanks for all the replies. Small Chilli, the Jalapeños are a variety Jalapeño M. I just picked them up in Lidl last spring and have grown them in the tunnel so plenty of warmth. I also started them in early March. Perhaps next year I need to try something different.
[-] The following 2 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yeah just keep trying different varieties. Not all jalapeño are spicy. Not all varieties tell you if they’re spicy. To make it fun some can’t make there minds up. Some pods having heat while some don’t even though they’re on the same plant.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Roitelet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Jalapenos do always seem to take a long time to ripen, though that usually doesn't bother me as most of the time we use them green. Early Jalapeno is uh...an earlier jalapeno that does ripen to red quicker than other varieties I've grown. Lack of heat, not too sure of the cause exactly, could be variety, duff seed, weather conditions, watering schedule etc. I have noticed plants which get less water seem to produce hotter fruit but that's just anecdotal evidence.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Roitelet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Some of the NuMex jalapenos are hotter than the standard, Orange Spice in particular is almost 3x as hot as Early Jalapeno.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Roitelet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm revising my opinion, firstly last evening I cut off the pointy tip and ate it with no chilli taste at all. At lunch time today I halved the rest, took out the seeds and confidently snacked on an inch sized bit. It didn't quite blow my head off but I wasn't going to munch on the second half Smile
So my green jalapeños are spicy enough thanks.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Roitelet, SarrissUK