Completed projects!
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Star 
You have probably heard me rambling on about my front steps project where I took out the old steps and completely re-modelled the entrance with steps leading off to the side instead of the front. All done with scrounged bricks (took me ages to clean them), Well that part was completed a few weeks back but was a bit of a deathtrap without railings. i always intended to make the railing in the same guise as my gate and fence and finally finished them. After a coat of paint they don't look three bad so I was chuffed that project is just about complete.

I also scrounged a big lump of wood from a tree that some one was keen to get rid of. This I planned on turning into an anvil stand and yesterday my youngest son gave me a hand to construct my 'Garden Folly' Maybe not to everyone's taste but its at the top of the garden, unseen from the French doors and patio and with plenty of room around it so I can shape metal to my hearts content!

Here's  a few piccies.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 13 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB, Mark_Riga, Moth, Roitelet, Scarlet, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You're a very clever man, Vinny.Smile The gate and railings are works of art.
As for the anvil... I used to have a huge metal ?vice/tool thingy that I found in the garden that sat on the wall beside the steps and I would pretend I knew what it was for. Gardens are for using as you want! I'm never sure whether a garden is another room of the house or another part of the shed!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Bren Offline
Vinny your finished step and railings do look good Smile

MrB has an anvil he bought a few years ago with the aim to make a forge he's gathered some bits but got side tracked with other projects like you do.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
So talented, Vinny! Looks great.
[-] The following 4 users Like doublyjonah's post:

Roitelet Offline
Wow, impressive!!!!!
[-] The following 4 users Like Roitelet's post:

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Very impressive Vinny, I love the steps and railings. No wonder you have an anvil. It looks like a fairly new one not like the old anvil my dad had that my brother later sold for a few bob drinking money.
Challenge for you, can you lift the anvil up with 1 hand and carry it to another location ?. Just to let you know it can be done, my old man showed me how years ago and I made money taking bets from my friends. Let me know how you get on.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
The anvil is a new and  75 ib  in weight. Large anvils, even old battered things cost a fortune these days and are way beyond my means. The main thing I needed was a Hardy hole in it. Having a Hardy hole means I can fabricate numerous jigs to fit into it which makes life a lot easier.
Bought the long coach screws yesterday to fasten it down and need to make two straps with holes to clamp it down solid. Then going to start on making a temporary iron/steel cross for Helen's grave until I save up for a headstone.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
P and I are gobsmacked Vinny, your iron work is truly impressive, not only the iron but the artistic skill too. It's a masterpiece. I bet you get loads of passers-by admiring your work. You should start taking commissions. I'm fascinated by the process. Where do you forge the metal ( if that's the right term)? You should have a new project and take us through it in pictures, like SC's build, you know how nosy we all are.

How you found the time to be Helen's carer, walk the dog, run a plot and do the steps and railings and everything else is beyond me! Respect!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Moth, Veggie, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Very professional, well done!
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
What everyone else has said matey, superb job.

Do you by chance have a before photo?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny