The first cut is the.... most productive?
SarrissUK Offline
Our new lawn had its first hair cut today. Jay got the new lawn mower out after a week of intermittent rain which stopped play with my new toy. 
I had no idea how much grass a large lawn like this produces! I bought the biggest thermoking composter as soon as we got here, so plenty of space, right? Right?
Wrong.
One cut and the TK is three quarters full!

I got busy taking it back out, layering it with cardboard in a dalek, and had soon filled one and a half of them, and still a third full in the TK! And the grass was already slightly warmer than body temperature in the ZTK after just four hours. Very impressed.

Chances are that I'll need another TK, what do you think? LOL
[-] The following 8 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
Oh and Jay was amazed at how excited I was, and how chuffed I was to have so much material to work with LOL It took me an hour and a half to layer it up, but I reckon that will compost really well.
It's a good thing I saved all the cardboard from the move isn't it? I've filled a whole shed with it lol
[-] The following 10 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, doublyjonah, Jay, JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Grass does loose a lot of its volume pretty quickly as it decomposes and too much in the bin will make it very wet. Mixed 50-50 with cardboard should be good. Earlier in the year it is good to use as a mulch if slugs are not too much of a problem as it smothers weeds and conserves moisture in the ground. I pile it on round raspberries and fruit trees.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
It certainly does lose a lot of bulk quickly. The morning after layering it up in a dalek with cardboard, it had already sunk a foot.
It's such a nice change to have so much material for the composter, compared to how I've been scrounging around before.
I'll use it as mulch directly as you suggested. Grass cuttings are all new to me, as I didn't have a lawn before
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I chuck it in the chicken run and let them turn it into compost for me.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I use most of it as mulches. I put newspaper down first and then the grass on top.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Vinny