Growing potatoes in paper
Spec Offline
        I posted a while back about a trial I was doing of growing potatoes in paper, I had set up three buckets, one with soil one with seaweed and paper and one with paper I lost the first two I think due to frost but the paper survived, I must admit to neglecting the bucket but decided yesterday to empty it out to see the results, so here's photos of the results
 Not the best crop but still quite surprising both with the results using the growing medium and the fact they were neglected, I did have another bucket out side he greenhouse which again is using newspaper, so will let you know how well it works, I have paid more attention to this oneRolleyes
[-] The following 6 users Like Spec's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Seems a lot of effort with very little return Spec Sad
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
As I said Can I did neglect the care of the bucket and yes you are right not much of a return, but for some paper and water I got 3 more potatoes than I started with, but I do have another bucket going which I have paid more attention to and I also have a control bucket beside it, so will see how they compare
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Some years ago, I grew spuds in cardboard boxes filled with who knows what (not compost). It wasn't very successful either. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Might have got more of a return with the Financial Times? Big Grin
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 5 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Spec, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
What variety did you experiment with spec ? It may not be the biggest crop in the world, but I love how clean they’ve come out. I look forward to seeing how well your other bucket has done with a little more TLC.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
(06-08-2021, 01:44 AM)Proserpina Wrote: Might have got more of a return with the Financial Times? Big Grin

You could be right Proserpina, the FT might well have been a better investment, but I thought that with the paper I used I wouldn't need to add any extra manureRolleyes
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(06-08-2021, 07:40 AM)Spec Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 01:44 AM)Proserpina Wrote: Might have got more of a return with the Financial Times? Big Grin

You could be right Proserpina, the FT might well have been a better investment, but I thought that with the paper I used I wouldn't need to add any extra manureRolleyes
Didn’t use the mirror or the sun then so no bullsh1t
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Most newspapers are full of "carp". Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Spec Offline
Can the paper I used was the mail, that why I didn't think I would need to add any extra s..., but proved wrong, it's not even good for thatRolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie