Subscription Boxes (not G&G).
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I think I've read Sphinx long timeback, a rollicking read IIRC.
I'm on murder mysteries ATM, a J D Robb
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just had some more boxes pop up on fb. Instantly thought of this thread.

https://www.seedpantry.co.uk/?fbclid=IwA...uyPT4DV1xg
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just looked to see how much I could save by NOT subscribing. Seems to be £12.99 a month for 6 packets of seed or £19.99 for 10 packets - or you can swap a packet for a couple of crocus corms.

Good job I've saved that money as last night I discovered Job Lot Books on the Bay! Ordered a Joblot of 25-40 Non Fiction books for £14.99 with Free P&P. Supposed to be in typical Charity Shop condition. I know some will be of no interest but I'm hoping some will - maybe on topics that I wouldn't normally read. I'll let you know what its like - should be delivered this week. Random books!!! Perfect. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just come across another subscription offer that I can save some money on. https://thefloralproject.co.uk/products/flower-club
The idea is that you grow flowers to give away. To do this you, obviously, need seeds and, for a mere £30 a month you will be sent 5 packets of flower seeds to grow. THAT is an incredible £6 a packet of seeds and, from the website, these are re-packaged seeds in brown paper envelopes. Even our "favourite" seed seller doesn't charge that much a packet! Bet you don't get many seeds either.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had to go look at that. That’s some expensive seeds! But it ok because you’re in a club and everyone gets to see the how to videos and talk to the “experts “ . No thanks  Big Grin . 

It’s basically our g&g seed swap spread out over 12 months and private access to a version of g&g forum ( no doubt without the fun, camaraderie & randomness of g&g ). While being robbed £30 a month  Big Grin Big Grin .
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Very wary of subscription boxes. They seem to be very common now for everything. My feelings are "If it's too good to be true, it usually is" Caveat Emtor! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
It all harks back to Readers Digest, easy to start but really difficult to cancel. No thanks on all fronts.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
So many companies have moved towards monthly subscriptions in the last few years. It's like a gym membership, the gym loves the recurring monthly revenue and only a fraction of customers actually get value out of their subscription.

£30 for 5 packets of seeds is obscene. All the varieties I can see in the photos you can get from Chiltern Seeds for just over £2 a packet. You can get all the growing information and help online for free. Fair enough if you want to be part of a community and feel like you're doing something good, but I don't think you should have to pay so much for the privilege.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a cunning plan. Big Grin
Several of our G&G members grow "cut" flowers for selling - others grow them purely for their own pleasure. Others, (me) forget all about growing flowers and haven't the heart to pick them anyway.
What if we start the G&G Floral Project, loosely based on the rip-off £30 a month one in previous posts?
Between us, we decide on 5 different flower seeds to sow each month and endeavour to produce a Floral Bouquet from them which we "give" to G&G each month? We don't have to grow the same seeds but there may be some which are more popular than others.
What do you think?
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I like that plan. I like the cut flowers idea but it turns out I don’t actually have a clue what I’m doing. So this would be great.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie