Is it something to be concerned about
Spec Offline
Recently I have received phone calls from people who I think are Chinese, as soon as I hear them speak I hang up and block the number, but would like to know if there is something else I can do and also wondering why I am suddenly getting these calls and if others are have experienced the same
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Broadway Offline
(01-08-2021, 06:12 PM)Spec Wrote: Recently I have received phone calls from people who I think are Chinese, as soon as I hear them speak I hang up and block the number, but would like to know if there is something else I can do and also wondering why I am suddenly getting these calls and if others are have experienced the same
Not 100% sure Spec but if it was me I'd just block. TBH I don't answer any numbers that are unknown.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I often get calls from unknown people. I block them.
My number is ex-directory and I'm signed up to TPS https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/
Not sure anything will stop a scammer but, if you're sure they're Chinese, you could order Sweet and Sour Pork and Fried Rice. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Spec Offline
^^^^ Actually Veggie I prefer a Chinese chicken chowmein, or Chinese chicken stir fry Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sorry, Chicken is off the menu.Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Some of the cold call scammers are able to highjack legitimate UK numbers, so the caller ID shows a UK number but in fact it's international. You can block that number, but the next time they call it will just be another highjacked number, so the blocking won't have worked. We look at caller ID and leave unknown ones to go to answerphone. It doesn't cure all of them and there's a risk of missing calls from big business who won't leave messages but in the main it works.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Admin Offline
The Boss
The numbers called are computer generated, once answered it gets marked as real and is then sold on.

If I don't recognise the number, I just answer with "crime desk", then block the number
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've just put the phone down on a "lady" claiming to be BT - then blocked the number.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
My brother answers and has a chat with them, tells them about his recent accident, cut his finger on a tin of peaches or tells them about his recent shopping trip. Says wait there and I'll go and get and get something then leaves the phone dangling for an hour. Then he blocks the number.
I have t had a house phone for a few years now - was broken and no one has managed to fix it.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
(02-08-2021, 09:40 AM)Admin Wrote: The numbers called are computer generated, once answered it gets marked as real and is then sold on.

If I don't recognise the number, I just answer with "crime desk", then block the number

I have blocked the numbers as they come up but they always use a different number, it sounds like the same voice but not sure
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man