Plant supports
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Does anyone make their own willow supports???
I would love a go - I'm sure it would be reasonably straightforward but it's getting the sticks that bother me. I'm not cutting down my tres and I just had a little google at buying them and they cost a fortune!!!

What do you use as supports? I think the willow ones are beautiful as a feature in the garden. Most of mine are makeshift. Some not to be seen. 

Most plants that I grow need supporting in someway. I definitely favour cottage garden plants and they are often tall, sometimes floppy  and need a little help. 

I've just got myself another order of 6mm steel rods - wish I'd just bitten the bullet last year and bought loads when I did as the price increase was huge this year.

They charge for cutting - but I can't get 6metre lengths in the car Sad  so even though cutting and delivery worked out the same for 40 rods thought I would get them delivered so that I didn't just have them in 3 metre lengths and can cut  some in 3 and have 2metres per support. A couple of my neighbours had some so it's worked out well having them delivered to be honest.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sorry posted that but but now I'm carrying on Big Grin ....

Anyway it's worked out at £4.15 per 6metre length.  Small supports use 1.5metres ( £1.04 each) and are good for shorter plants like penstemons or phlox. I use 2metre (£1.40 ish) lengths for dahlias. And if I use a 2 x 3metre lengths I can bend these with a really small bend and tie them up the top and use as a clematis support. I have used some 3mtre length on really tall plants like my thistles. But will be using them for my roses this year too. 

A friend cuts hers in 5 and bends them in a shallow arch and used them all around the edge of her harden to stop the plants falling on the grass and her mower can get in closer. 

[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
For my dahlia rows I've used my old electric fence that stopped working from my chicken keeping days -
Seems to work well - was cheap Big Grin - and you can't see it as they leaf up more.

Anyway a back to the willow ones. Has anyone had a go? What sticks did you use?

Also a friend has a migwelder?? He did say I could use it but I need to use it in his garage. Are they worth a go to make some nicer looking supports? Maybe getting out of my league here - but I always assume I can do it Big Grin

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I inherited a large selection of varying sizes of green plastic coated right angled link stakes from mum, some big enough for poppies, hollyhocks etc. down to little ones for floppy dianthus. All very useful and way too expensive for me to consider. Thank you mum.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Homegrown bamboo and hazel for beans, tomatoes and squashes. Chicken wire.
I don't support flowers or do anything decorative with bamboo.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Mu Mum left behind those coated poles for climbing beans. So I had those along with her gardening tools and feeds etc. I'm using everything she had which makes me smile when I do. Smile My stepdad said I can also have her greenhouse - he is using it as storage at the moment. But it's not glass and I'm not sure it would manage the wind here.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You could cover the GH with netting as a fruit or brassica cage?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Vinny

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(27-06-2021, 01:35 PM)Scarlet Wrote: For my dahlia rows I've used my old electric fence that stopped working from my chicken keeping days -
Seems to work well - was cheap Big Grin - and you can't see it as they leaf up more.

Anyway a back to the willow ones. Has anyone had a go? What sticks did you use?

Also a friend has a migwelder?? He did say I could use it but I need to use it in his garage. Are they worth a go to make some nicer looking supports? Maybe getting out of my league here - but I always assume I can do it Big Grin
Re the mig welder Metal Inert Gas btw..........easy to use once amperage and wire speed is set up. I have two MIG welders but prefer stick welding MMA (Manual Metal Arc) my wrought iron work.I have a £300 order waiting to be delivered once I can get all the various sections I require ( stock is in short supply and changes daily) to make my fence along edge of front steps. I am also doing some sculptures and making some fancy indoor wrought iron wood stores for friends.
My main go-to is 12mm square bar with flat bar and other sections.

6mm round bar can be bent very easily by hand so you should be able to show your artistic flair with it if joined in sections. I remember Monty Don extolling its virtues in one of his gardening programmes. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
The 6mm does bend very easily....I did have thoughts of trying some 8mm and making a large arch and tying it in with wire? I think I will go back to my friend and see if he will give me a demo.

Care to show any of your metalwork? Would be interested to see. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(27-06-2021, 02:15 PM)Veggie Wrote: You could cover the GH with netting as a fruit or brassica cage?
That is a fab idea!!!
my kale as been eaten to nothing - I was going to try starting some kale now? And keep in the greenhouse?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie