Wasp Nests
Broadway Offline
Morning Folks

I have 2 mini wasp nests in my shed. Now I believe everything deserves a chance (except Arsenal fansSmile) but they seem a bit more active the last few times. Bottom line should I whack them with my hoe and avoid the shed for an hour or so?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Short answer = NO!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Broadway Offline
(23-06-2021, 10:50 AM)Veggie Wrote: Short answer = NO!
So leave them then?

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Leave them unless you're at risk!
Wasp are not only vitally important pollinators, but they also help control caterpillar and other pest numbers. The only ones I whack are asian hornets and paper wasps if they're building inside window shutters that need to be opened.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Sorry to say I had a single queen building its nest in my garden shed. It was right over the entrance and I had shelves to build, so I am afraid it had to go. Knocked it down and ran like hell. Cry
Left the door open and  the queen left the shed eventually. When I looked at the paper nest she hadn't had time ton lay eggs in it so I felt a bit better about her house demolition and not killing her offspring Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
If you use the shed a lot they may become a problem as the nest grows larger - it will reach football size. So if the nests are where you are likely to knock them or go close to them, either take everything that you need out of the shed and stop using it till winter, or have the nests removed. Wasps can be very defensive of their nest sites.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(23-06-2021, 11:37 AM)Moth Wrote: If you use the shed a lot they may become a problem as the nest grows larger - it will reach football size. So if the nests are where you are likely to knock them or go close to them, either take everything that you need out of the shed and stop using it till winter, or have the nests removed. Wasps can be very defensive of their nest sites.
Thanks Moth

I'll try and live with them, for now.

One is about tennis ball size and the other golf ball.
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you really have to move them, put a bucket over the nest and, with a sharp knife, slice the nest off the roof so that into falls into the bucket. Take it outside and put it somewhere quiet - close your shed door and make it sure all gaps are sealed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
My tumbledown shed at the allotment had a wasps nest in last year. I just let them get on with it not knowing where exactly the nest was. They were coming and going through a gap at top of door. In the autumn after all activity had ceased I entered the shed and was surprised how big the nest was (football size).
Apparently they won't use the same nest each year so I knocked it down, still being wary just in case. They had vacated the nest thank God! Smile
It brought back memories of my Brother and I as kids in the woods collecting hazel nuts. The hornets swarmed around my brother and I had to throw him in a large trough filled with water for cows to drink out of.He must have been stung 30 to 50 times but luckily they didn't get me. I have had a healthy respect for wasps and hornets since then. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
They say that wasps are territorial and won't build a nest where one already exists so its best to leave an empty nest at the end of the year to deter more wasps from building there next year.
or you could try a waspinator!! https://waspinator.co.uk/